Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
broken brug trunk

Posted by Isitcool Seattle WA (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 11, 12 at 13:37

accidentally snapped off the upper (green part) 6 - 7 inches off one of my my overwintering brugs inside our home ......these are 2nd year tree type brugs, I plan to overwinter them indoors every winter and put them back out in May .....what do I do ?? what is best way to keep this established & nicely rooted plant safe & happy after this incident ?? I have no desire to save or rescue the part that snapped off (although it did have quite a bit of foliage on it) thanks for the help !!!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: broken brug trunk

well it will grow out fine.. but I'm afraid it's going to think of it's self as a bush type now

o

New growth will appear at the leaf nodes below the break and it will be bushier but you can snap off all but one of the new branches if you don't care for the shape.

o

I think it is a good idea to snap the tips off when it gets to a fair heighth anyway. It should make for lots more blossoms in the long run. Correct me if I am wrong.
Bill

o

I'm with Bill. Some of my 5+ year old plants have gradually gotten to a height it is problematic when I bring them in for dormancey as my old cool basement has a pretty low ceiling. I've (painfully) decapitated (to a height of 4-5 feet) some over the years then allowed 3-5 side sprouts
to develop near the top which (If I'm lucky) develops into a canopy which is actually nicer than the original...and low enough to enjoy. If that doesn't work out as planned (ever happen to anyone else out there LOL?) you can always take trunk cuttings and start all over again.
Will

o

Well I know that cuttings are very easy to water root, as a matter of fact I rooted some cuttings in water and they put out very nice roots and I have them potted up. Marcie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here