Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Anyone, especially those of you in the SE & SW

karyn1
14 years ago

I've been beating my brains out trying to find matelea seeds for a number of years. I've only been able to get M. biflora and gonocarpa seeds. Everyone with decipiens is out of stock and I've never even seen other varieties for sale. BTW mateleas are milkweed vines. There's loads of varieties but it seems the majority are native to the SE & SW and many are threatened species. If anyone knows where I can get seeds for any mateleas or other kind of milkweed vines (even invasive varieties) please let me know. I will be forever grateful. If anyone happens to have any I'd love to trade or pay for seeds.

Here is a link that might be useful: matelea varieties and distribution

Comments (17)

• chena
    14 years ago

I will look around and ask..

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Karyn, I have never seen anything that looked like that. I have alot of yellow milk weed, that the bee's love, but no milkweed vine. If you can find a source here in central Texas, I will get it for you and mail it to you. Barbra,

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Karyn, I will be going to Florida in June, maybe you can find a source there. I think we are going to West Palm Beach Fl. I lost 17 plumeria, and who knows how many hibiscus, just let me know and I can get what ever you want, and mail it to you. Barbra,

• haase
    14 years ago

I will ask around in nurseries here. Myself, I don't know anything about it. I'll try my best. Actually, it looks like a weed to me. But what do I know . . . .

Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid it is a "weed". lol I love all kinds of asclepias but especially the vines. I'm going back to FL on 3/11 but will be in Disney the whole time so I doubt I'll be able to check out nurseries. I'm not sure why they are so difficult to locate. I know several others that have been looking as well and they haven't had any luck either. I've even contacted native plant restoration groups and universities.

Barbra if you're interested in unusual and even the more common tropicals take a ride to Gardino's. It's in the outskirts of Delray, about 15 minutes away. You'll have to call to make sure someone will be there as they aren't really open to the public but they have an amazing selection. It's kind of difficult finding your way in there and a GPS doesn't help as the roads aren't on any maps but Sid or someone else there can give you directions. If you are just looking for more common tropicals you should be able to find stuff at any of the local nurseries or big box stores.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Karyn, it will be 10 years this March since I was there. I hope that the same nurseries are still arund, but I doubt it. Almost every street I turned down had a hugh nursery, but 95% were wholesale, I found two wholesale that sold to the public. I shipped my plants home in a ups golf club box. I had a 15 gallon brugmansia, surrounded by 5 gallon plants, and then on top, 1 gallon plants, I had that box stuffed. That is where I bought my first desert rose, and brugmansia. I will be looking for plumeria and hibiscus this time. I had mine covered with blankets, but the wind kept uncovering them. This is the first time I did not dig them up and put them in the garage. I am not sure if I lost them to too much water, or the cold. Everything is still under water in Rockport. It rains 3 out of 7 days down there. The yard is just under water, and has yellow rings around it. I keep putting cornmeal on it, hoping that will help. I will post on the gardening in Texas forum to see if I can get the milk weed vine for you. I will let you know, I have to go to work now, but will post tonight. Barbra,

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

You might want to take a ride into Homestead. It's about 60 miles south of West Palm but that's where most of the nurseries are located.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Karyn,
    I'll keep an eye out for some!
    Hugs
    Susan

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I know that I have seen the decipiens on nature walks, but I can't remember where! I'll make sure that I have a trowel and baggies in my backpack next time we go out for a walk.

Pam

• haase
    14 years ago

Karyn, as promised:
    I printed out what I could and took it to Armstrong Nurseries and Garden Center. They didn't have any such thing and the guy didn't know where to get it.
    I'm busy today, but tomorrow I'll try Bluehills Nursery. They often have some exotic and unusual plants and they may know more. (Japanese guys).

Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks everyone. There's varieties that supposedly grow in this area but I've never seen any.

• figara
    14 years ago

Karyn, I'll keep an eye for you too. Like Ingrid, I have to make a note to remember the name :-)
    Pat

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

There's a relatively undisturbed natural area nearby. I'll keep an eye out on my walks.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Never heard of them Karyn, but then, you always come up with something new for us to learn about. Will also keep my eyes open.

• haase
    14 years ago

I like to keep my promises, but I can't go to Bluehills Nursery today. I had forgotten, today is my birthday and there is a lot going on at the house. I'll do it tomorrow though. - Patience.

Hugs
    Ingrid

• gymnmore
    14 years ago

Karen - sending you an e-mail.
    ~ Judy

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    14 years ago

I will keep an eye out for them here. We try to hike and fish a lot around the rivers and such maybe I will be able to spot some. I'm always on the lookout for wierd plants and cool driftwood.

Sponsored
Arete Construction Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Experienced Craftsman & Top Quality Masonry in Frederick County