Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
aimeekitty

easiest brug for a pot?

aimeekitty
12 years ago

Hey folks, I've been wanting to get a brugmansia for a while and I think I'd finally like to get one this year.

I'd be keeping it in a large pot. zone 9-10, southern california.

do you have any recommendations for white or golden brugs that are relatively easy and fast growing for beginners that tolerate pots well? or is anything really fine?

Should I look to buy at any particular place? I just need one plant that would get big relatively quickly.

Thanks a ton for an advice you can give me.

Comments (12)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Pretty much any brug does well in a continer. One of the easier golden yellowish/orange is the old standby Charles Grimaldi but there's so many. Kathy and Liz, who both post here regularly, have brug stores. There's also Country Garden Nursery and Ebay. Check thru the threads and you'll find names of recommended Ebay sellers and other sources. Fall is when most of us have cuttings available but some folks might have extras available now. You might want to post on the plant exchange but I'd offer a trade of something so that you don't violate GW rules.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

thankyou! I tried some other ebay threads but most recommended sellers don't seem to have very much available right now. I think I may just go with Charles Grimaldi from Annie's Annuals (which is well recommended) to keep it simple, that looks nice to me. Thankyou for your help! :)

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Do you live near Annie's? They have some wonderful plants. Lots of varieties that are hard to find elsewhere. I have a friend that lives in CA and is nice enough to pick plants up and ship them to me.

• aimeekitty
    Original Author
    12 years ago

nope, they're up north and I'm down south, but I ordered on wed and my plants got here on friday! pretty yay! I got a bunch of other CA natives and interesting things I'd been considering... :)

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Aimee, Annie's Annuals will be a Roger's Gardens today, in case you live closer to that.

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Aimee, you lucky lady- you have it made in your climate for tropicals! I only wish I had known about brugs when I lived in California and Florida, but that was a long time ago, now.
    As everyone said above, you can pot any brug.............. I have done that! But for me, a smaller growing variety is better suited. There are hybridizers that are working on just that issue, smaller plants for pot gardening, with some success.
    SAM is a good one, in my experience.
    DORTHEA is another good one.
    This is just based on what I have done with my brugs. A smaller blossom does not always equate with a smaller plant. My Naughty Nick and Salmon Perfektion can shoot for the sky, which makes them rather top-heavy and likely to fall over!
    Oh, last thing, I do have some rooted brug cuttings. Can't name them all off the top of my head but I can share for postage, when the weather warms. Shoot me an email. This offer is good for anyone else, til I run out.

Brenda B

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Oops, sorry, Aimee, I just reread your first post and you don't want pink brugs, which are the two I mentioned.
    I do have a start of Temple Goddess, which gets huge pendulous white blossoms and lots of them!

~Brenda

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Brenda what about Angel's Summer Dream? I remember that being a smaller variety but a prolific bloomer and it's yellow. I only grew it for a single season. It was one that I never got around to lifting over the winter.

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Karyn, I will have to bow to you on this one--- I never got mine out to the summer gardens before it croaked. I do have A. Endless Summer, finally, that someone kindly shared with me, rooted, or that would be a goner, too! I'm rough on the European brugs!
    The original Sam plant that Sandy has looks like a bonsai- about 3 1/2 feet tall and 7 feet wide. Striking! And in a large pot.
    Oh, congrats on your new "Grad"!!! I see a resemblence to Lyle.

• karyn1
    12 years ago

My Sam is only about 3' tall. I don't even bother cutting it back in the winter.

Thanks. I can't believe that he'll be 18 on Thursday and graduating in May. He and Kyle look a lot alike. Jake even had straight hair until he was about 12. He just woke up one morning with curly hair and a deep voice. Weird!

• gottahosta
    12 years ago

Teen boys will do that to ya, change overnight! Teen girls, too, just not so dramatically.
    He is a handsome fella!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Let's just say it's a good thing I have 1 girl and 2 boys, not the other way around. Boys are a piece of cake compared to girls with their changing moods. My DD is 15 going on 25. My mother always said that payback was my having a DD just like me. lol

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus