Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sibhskylvr

Yayyyy! Three buds on 'Rothkirch!!'

sibhskylvr
14 years ago

One large bud & two smaller ones! Hopefully they'll make it to the opening stage! Yippeee!

Mike

{{gwi:457953}}

{{gwi:457954}}

{{gwi:457955}}

Comments (27)

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Congratulations Mike!!!!
    Way to go!!!!

Karen

• haase
    14 years ago

That's great, Mike! Congrats.
    Ingrid

• plantlover49
    14 years ago

Mike
    How neat, too have the Brug that you wanted forever too Bloom, Congratulations, I cant wait too see it open

Elizabeth

• danasplants
    14 years ago

I have one on M.E.M I think i should take it off let the poor little plant grow lol but you really want to see that flower! lol Congratulations! did you root it or did you get it rooted hear that ones hard to root?

• figara
    14 years ago

Wow! Mike , you have a green thumb. From what I can see the flower will be as big or bigger than the plant itself. Somebody gave you a nice cutting. Congrats!

Pat

• taz56
    14 years ago

Great Mike, best of luck to you and your buds,
    when it blooms post pictures! Yay for Mike!
    Susan

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Congrats! I know you've been anticipating this one. I can't wait to see it. BTW did you get my email a few days ago?

Someone mentioned debudding a small plant. There's no need to remove buds as long as a brug is well rooted. It does look kind of odd when the bloom is longer then the plant. LOL I've had several that I've had to elevate to keep the flowers from dragging on the ground. Most of the time a plant that's not strong will abort developing buds on it's own anyway.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Oh Mike, I'm so happy for you. As Elizabeth said, this is "the Brug that you wanted forever" and now it is going to make you even happier by blooming!

• chena
    14 years ago

ALRIGHT!! That is great!! I can't wait to see the pic's!!

Kylie

• green_thumb_guy
    14 years ago

Is this the same plant that you received from your Secret Santa?

:)

• knotz
    14 years ago

Awesome Mike :)

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

You lucky dog, Mike!!! A wait well worth it! Nice reward for your patience and persistence.
    Now, save that pollen!!! LOL!
    ~Brenda

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

Congrats Mike. Looks like the big bud will be open very soon. Can't wait to see it.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

Gosh, Mike I can't wait to see it. I am so happy you got your Rothkirch, just to show you wishes do come true. Barbra

• lboyce
    14 years ago

Mike.....Not only did I get the most beautiful Peanut cuttings but I also got a rooted Rothkirch plant as well! RothKirch is still sitting at seller's as our temps are way too cold right now to ship. I REALLY should pay "room and board" to the seller for holding my plants.

Can't wait to see your blooms!! I was just thinking of you the other day and was wondering how your plant was doing.

Linda

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ok - it's time!! lol! Opened up today 2-21-10!

And the smell - NEVER have I smelled a Brug as intoxicating as this one! Entire living room smells Heavenly!

And check out those 'twangers!' rofl!

I'm going to hate to see it dry & wither away! But I'm going to enjoy every minute of it blooming! :) One bud has fallen off - but one more is 'holding!'
    {{gwi:457956}}
    {{gwi:457957}}
    {{gwi:457958}}
    {{gwi:457959}}

• figara
    14 years ago

Lucky you! Love it. Now I want one too.
    Pat

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pat

I'd like to have more of them too! I'd be sharing like crazy!! :)

Mike

• chena
    14 years ago

OH Mike the is just Beautiful!!! Can you describe the smell?? swear I do not need another pink.. BUT That one may have won me over..LOL CONGRATS!!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It's a beauty. I hope you are saving the pollen to use on some of your other brugs.

• haase
    14 years ago

See how ignorant I am, I always thought a Rothkirsch was a tree. But I guess I'm thinking of a Pink Hawthorn.
    I am excited for you about your Rothkirsch. Congratulations.

Ingrid

• sibhskylvr
    Original Author
    14 years ago

'He' has a smell I can't describe Kylie! It filled the living room - still trying to figure out something that smells like it! Nothing comes to mind! lol!

Karyn - I'm not much of a pollen collector! lol! I can just see Brenda & her little 'pollen kit' (scissors & plastic tubes) ever so gently taking pollen! Funny!

In all seriousness - I'm very happy with him & he was well worth the wait! Have to thank Lonny for a GREAT 'Secret Santa' gift! :)

Oh! Anyone that's interested - Susan (taz) is hosting a 'Welcome Spring' Bingo game on the 'Brugmansia Lovers Unite' group! It starts at 6:00 p.m. Some great rooted Brug cuttings are the prizes! Hope to see everyone there & playing! :)

Mike

Here is a link that might be useful: Brugmansia Lovers Unite!

• brugmansiaddict
    14 years ago

Congrats Mike!

Once it gets bigger and has a couple flushes the calyx will cover the corrola some more. It will look more like a proper aurea.

I can sell some nice fat woody cuttings if anyone is interested.

- Matt

• chena
    14 years ago

Matt.. How easy do they root??
    I have heard they are very hard..

Kylie

• brugmansiaddict
    14 years ago

I use super well draining soil mix. The same as for vulcanicola's. About 65% perlite. Pop the cutting in. Water. Let the soil almost completely dry out. Water again. etc. etc.

Time until you see new growth, about two months.

I have had about 90% success with this method.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

That is absolutely stunning! Congrats.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Mike, Rothkirch is a beauty! You deserve those fantastic blooms.

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County