Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
The best way to start brugs?

Posted by elvis 3/4WI (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 15:21

Hi there, I'm not new to GW but I am new to this Forum. I have to try growing these. Should I start from seed? Cuttings? Whole plant? What is the most cost effective way? And, can I keep them indoors year round as I do with my orchids?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: The best way to start brugs?

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Tue, Feb 14, 12 at 15:29

WELCOME!!!
Seeds are easy but take a while.. Cuttings are easy take some time. BUT so can a rooted plant.. Kinda depends on you patience Sorry I know not much help.. BUT it is Great to have ya here..;0)

Kylie

o

Thank you, chena! Looks like I may have a line on some cuttings~~

Con.

o

Seeds will take a while, probably 2 seasons in your zone. Cuttings or a rooted plant would work best for you. Cuttings are probably the more economical choice and like Kylie said will often bloom in the same amount of time as a rooted plant.

As for the best way to start them- whatever works best for you. lol I'm not trying to be flip but there's several different methods to start cuttings and what works well for one person might not work well for another. Personally I like starting cuttings in a well draining potting medium best. Just make sure to keep them lightly moist. I've had issues with rot setting in if the soil is too damp. Water rooting works well too. There's also cuttings in sphagnum moss rolled up like a jelly roll, rock wool and Oasis cubes. Look thru the threads and you will find all sorts of ways to start cuttings.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here