Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
haase_gw

Gnats again

haase
14 years ago

I just bought some "sticky tape", the kind they used to hang up in a cow stable, to catch flies. I don't know if they still do that. Got it at the 99cent Store.

The gnats don't actually fly to it, I watched them. However, then I cut some pieces off, a few inches each, and stuck them on the rim of my flower pots, and the gnats can't help but walk over that, and get stuck.

Hope it works.

Ingrid

Comments (21)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

You and me both. I'm still fighting the fungus gnats. I use fly paper and trap loads of adults. I've been treating with Bt to kill the larvae but haven't completely gotten rid of them. The best thing would be to allow the soil to dry but with these particular plants the soil can't dry out at all and a layer of sand isn't doing a thing. How ever many the fly paper traps it's that many that won't be laying eggs. Good luck.

• haase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Karyn, I should have asked you in the first place. I tried all sorts of things and finally I thought I had found a super remedy.
    Did you buy something nice at the Mall?

Ingrid

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Have you two tried the bt dunks for mosquitos in your water yet? That's doing a great job this winter for me since I was just too lazy to sand everthing this year.

Pam

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Mosquito Dunks are Bt.

I got some really nice stuff but none of it was for me. Everything I bought was for the kids. I'll go shopping for myself next week when they are hopefully back in school.

• haase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Good advice. Will try.
    Ingrid

• danasplants
    14 years ago

I tried a fan going good for the cuttings to grow strong and keep the little knats at bay

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It's a good idea to keep a fan on all seedling and cutting trays as well as any area where plants are clustered. I can't say that it's ever worked to rid my plants of fungus gnats but I'm sure it helps reduce them and makes for healthier plants in general.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

It's a good idea to keep a fan on all seedling and cutting trays as well as any area where plants are clustered. I can't say that it's ever worked to rid my plants of fungus gnats but I'm sure it helps reduce them and makes for healthier plants in general.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Ingrid, I feel for you. I went through that last year and had decided not to do cuttings this winter. Of course, I still ended up rooting cuttings indoors, but what has helped, is that most have not been planted in soil yet. I've just kept them in cups with sphagnum moss (Mike's method). They will be planted out within a month or so. I've tried sand and small containers with soap and vinegar, which helped a bit. The best thing you can do now per Karyn's suggestion is to keep your plants on the dry side, and also when you water, use the mosquito dunks. HD has them for just under $10. I keep a milk jug filled with water and a small piece of the dunk. I've never been able to find the yellow stickies, but have tried yellow card board with Vaseline on it to catch some of those nasty gnats.

• akat71
    14 years ago

I also have the same problem with 2 seedlings I bought last fall. I have lost one of them, but just read and article that said if you sprinkle ground cinnamon on top of the soil that will get rid of them. I just got through putting the cinnamon on my survior and also have a small glass of vinegar near the plant. Hope this will get rid of them! ;) Happy Valentines Day all!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    14 years ago

I read that you just need to cut raw potatoes, and put them in the soil of your plants. The ganats larval will go into the pototoes, and you can just dispose of them, after a few days. Barbra

• haase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That sounds like a winner, Barbra. I'm going to do that RIGHT NOW!

Ingrid
    P.S. I wonder if my brugs would prefer potato salad?

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Barbra I'm definitely going to try the potatoes. Thanks. I hope it works. I've tried the cinnamon and it didn't help at all but it did smell nice. lol I've also tried chamomile tea with poor results. The cider vinegar is to get rid of fruit flies, not fungus gnats. I wonder why I only get fungus gnats with seed and cutting trays indoors? I never have a gnat problem when I start trays outside.

• akat71
    14 years ago

Alright, I've got my potatoes in my lone surviving seedling and my 1 gallon I bought last fall! I really hope this works. After 2 days it seems they are disappearing. Keep your fingers crossed!

Kitty

• sekhment
    14 years ago

yep i think i might be getting a gnat problem Crap!!! I have seen a few here and there and i think its getting worse im so doing the potato thing lolol. I did find little white wormy things in a seed starting tray to I wonder if they are gnat larva? It was a rand new tray and it was seperated from the others with a top? does any one know what they could have been ? gnats is my best guess but man I'm PE O Ed about it . lol
    Cassie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

The fungus gnat larvae are tiny. Here's a good pic from the ICPS but keep in mind they are really, really tiny. I put some potato slices in the day before yesterday. I'll check a slice later and see if there's any larvae in it. I'm still seeing plenty of gnats flying around.

Here is a link that might be useful: fungus gnat larvae

• sekhment
    14 years ago

Thanks for the link, now I'm not sure, I seen a couple little tiny tiny wormy things but they didnt have a black head. The flys i see flyin around look so much like fruit flys, well they look axactly ike fruit flys. Why would I have fruit flys?
    Cassie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Did you have any over ripe fruit sitting out? Even if it's now gone the flies can still be around. I get them because my little one will take a blueberry or some other small fruit and stick it somewhere like a planter. By the time I find it the flies are already here. A shallow dish of cider vinegar with a few drops of liquid soap will usually take care of fruit flies. They are annoying but don't bother plants.

• haase
    Original Author
    14 years ago

When I removed the potato pieces I checked them very carefully, but I didn't see anything at all.
    However, the pieces of sticky tape worked like a charm! They were full of adult gnats, it almost looked like somebody had shaken a heavy load of pepper onto the paper.
    And voila, there are no more gnats!!!!
    Should they come back, they will get the same treatment!

Looks like ev erybody is busy with seeds these days. I can't use seeds, don't have the space, or the patience.

Wishing you all a good day.

Ingrid

• sekhment
    14 years ago

Nope karyn, not fruit out, its crazy. I lift up the top to one of thoes hot houses and little gnat things come flyin out. the potato thing didnt work for me im tryin the apple cider vinigar. I will post if it works I'm gonna do the tape thing to.
    Good luck to use all loolol
    Cassie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I can't say if the potato worked for me or if the gnat population is just declining from the other treatments but I am seeing fewer gnats. They aren't gone but there's definitely fewer flying around. An interesting observation about sticky traps. I ran out of the yellow sticky cards so I put up some regular fly paper that comes in the little round canisters. It's about 2" wide, long and tan. The adult gnats got stuck alright but it didn't attract nearly as many as the yellow cards. I've read that the color is important but didn't realize there would be such a difference.