Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Peeling Seeds!

Posted by akat71 Canton, GA (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 18, 10 at 16:30

Wow! Being a first time brug owner peeling those little boogers is like shucking an oyster with a toothpick! LOL Finally got them all done and soaked in the light bleach solution. Just got them into their little peat pellet homes, I CAN'T wait for germination!

I am now officially addicted!

Thanks all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Peeling Seeds!

I've never heard it described that way but it's perfect! lol Those little buggers can be a real pain to peel. More then a few have shot out between my fingers never to be seen again. Good luck with your seeds.

o

OMG, thanks for the laugh and the picture you planted in my brain!!!!! Yes, they can be slimy slippery little buggers!
Next time, just try getting most of the cork off- that's all I do and it works fine. My seeds have been fresh and I have not been removing the cork at all- I just soak and plant- so far working good!
~Brenda

o

So no PEELING? what to do what to do. When I get my seeds I will try both ways, what is the germination period, days? weeks? any idea? Thanks Marcie

o

Can somebody elaborate on "soaked in the light bleach solution" first time I hear this!!!
Thanks
Pat

o

Fresh brug seeds don't need to be peeled because the cork is soft and moist but when the cork is dried out soaking and peeling is a good idea. Pat I've never heard of soaking in bleach but I have heard of soaking in a diluted hydrogen peroxide. I assume the idea behind both is the same, to disinfect them, but I've never used anything but water.

o

My seeds where dry so I had to soak them to get the cork off.
I read that you should soak them in 1 part bleach to 10 parts water for 10 minutes to kill any fungus or you could use the hydrogen peroxide version.

o

LOL, great description akat! I too only partially remove the outer cork.

o

I knew you can soak them in water to remove the cork but I have not heard about soaking them in a bleach solution or peroxide. Good to know!
Thank you all.
Pat

o

If you are soaking in the 10% bleach solution are you also planting the seeds in sterilized soil and are you keeping that closed ( preventing contamination of the soil or bean) until germination happens?

o

• Posted by akat71 Canton, GA (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 19, 10 at 17:30

I bought a Jiffy greenhouse with peat pellets. It has a lid to aid with germination. Friends, I believe it's correct to remove the lid after they sprout so they don't rot, is this correct? I also started some hibiscus and morning glory seeds!
We shall see! ;)

o

Once the seeds sprout begin opening the cover to allow air circulation. A fan on a low setting will also help with air circulation. Make sure it's not too moist inside your dome or the seeds can rot. Your MG seeds are going to come up fast. Usually within 2 days of planting as long as you've soaked them in water first.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here