Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrugs

OT altheas, roses of Sharon

luvbrugs
14 years ago

I am seriously looking for some varieties of altheas or roses sharon, and i cant find any. The hibiscus forum is kind of inactive :( Can anyone help me? pleeease. I looked for a forum about them, but no luck...

thanks in advance guys

Comments (17)

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

Well I can get you some cuttings,but with the recent freeze I don't know if they will take or root, this bush-tree is suposed to be dormant right now, I don't have any seeds for the rose of sharon, I believe the color to the cuttings is light pink. Any one knows anything about the rose of sharon? Marcie

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I am digging mine up & getting rid of them (Don't plant them right next to a fence). I have a lot of different singles (no name). Everything is buried under a couple feet of snow but you are welcome to cuttings or plants when (& if) they thaw out. LOL

Linda

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

THANKS, Marcie and Linda, thanks for being so kind. Let me know whenever you want and I will take all the cuttings i can get :))
    thanks again ladies, i love this bushes

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I may have seeds on mine also since I haven't gotten around to trimming them off yet, I'll go check when it warms up. No names, but I have lavendar and white singles.

Pam

• msbatt
    14 years ago

IF they live through the winter---I transplanted them last fall---I have double dark rose ones I can take cuttings from. They root quite easily.

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks so much ladies, i DO want all the cuttings i can get a hold of, please let me know when you have them. I am soooo in love with this plant.
    again, thanks so much for your generosity

• Central_Cali369
    14 years ago

You might not be so fond of them when they start reseeding everywhere for you! haha. I bought a trio a couple of years ago (a blue, a pinkish/red and a white one). Since then, I've had several come up in the yard.

• jessewo
    14 years ago

I've got seed for white-will share for postage. My neighbor has lots from family plants-they do reseed like mad! Send me your info

• napdognewfie
    14 years ago

I cut the seed pods off before they mature. It's too late now but I wish I had done it from the start. They bloom when they are only a foot tall & I thought a nice thick hedge of them by the fence would be nice. LOL

Linda

• redrhodes
    14 years ago

Down here in Texas we don't have to worry about the seeds. I've never seen one sprout. I have a 4 ft tall blue that looks very good and is now starting to bud. I had to trim half of the new growth this year to prevent the stems from bending due to the weight of all of the buds. It's a great plant and the national flower of Korea.

• princealbert
    14 years ago

luvbrugs;
    I am about to trim a rose of sharon hedge that is about 25 ft long, it consists of single white and purple plants. There is about 2 ft of growth from last year that is going to be trimed.
    Send me an e-mail and we will try to get together or something. From where I live it is 4 1/2 hrs to the nearest Texas border.
    princealbert

• hong2007
    14 years ago

How do you propagate rose of sharon from cutting?

• princealbert
    14 years ago

Hong,
    I just take a cutting and put it in moist soil and it goes. I have only had a few that root in water. I have several (25-30) in water now and only 2-3 have started rooting they are all putting in new leaves with the warm spell we had for the last 2 weeks. After Easter I will pot them up and set them outside.
    pa

• princealbert
    14 years ago

luvbrugs , (Gaby)
    You have mail on your hotmail.
    I would love to make this into a trade
    Have you got anything extra?
    Seeds,
    flowering vines (Not orange trumpet they are trying to take over),
    Bulbs, Iris, Gladolia,daffodils, and so on.
    other flowering bushes.
    princealbert

• kasha77
    14 years ago

Hi Luvbrugs-
    I have a small Rose of Sharon sapling, white flowers with a maroon center, about 4 feet tall that has taken up residence next to my porch that I want gone- If you want it you can have it just email me
    Thanks
    kasha77
    kathysuleski@yahoo.com

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

This brings back memories, we had rose of sharon in our yard when I was growing up and I remember the vivid purple blooms as we ran around the bush after each other.

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    14 years ago

thanks Albert, i will e mail you in a couple of days. I am up to my ears in work! i just wanted to tell you thanks and we ll be in touch.