Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

OT-Starting Plumeria Seeds in Styrofoam boats!

kasha77
12 years ago

I read about starting Plumeria seeds in little packing peanuts and floating them on water. Well, I've just had to try it! :)

{{gwi:460547}}

{{gwi:460548}}

{{gwi:460549}}

{{gwi:460550}}

I've even labeled them - I've read that they can germinate in 4 days using this method! I'll keep you posted on my little experiment! :)

Comments (35)

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Kathy, That's so cool. I am anxiously awaiting your results since I want to get my Plumeria seeds going, soon
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Kathy I know we already spoke about this but I'll give the warning here too. Make sure you aren't using biodegradable packing peanuts! I used this method several years ago and at the time didn't realize that there even were biodegradable peanuts. They were white and looked just like any other styrofoam packing material. I made my little boats, labeled them ,inserted the seeds, put them in a tray of water and then watched them dissolve into a sticky mess. lol When you use the regular peanuts this method works quite well.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Hy guys-
    Ok, Bill, I'll keep you posted! Karyn- I think I'm using the regular peanuts. It's been almost 24 hours and they're still staying afloat with no breakdown! But thanks for the warning, I appreciate it!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

The biodegradable ones begin breaking down almost immediately. You're safe. lol My P. stenophylla seeds are up, 6 days.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karyn-
    How warm did you set the heating mat at?

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I don't use a thermostat but it's probbly around 85. I turn the mats off at night. We keep the house around 70 so they never get cold. These are all being started inside. I'm keeping the GH too cool at night to start tropical seeds.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks for the info, Karyn!

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Kathy, good for you in trying different methods of growing out seeds. We will all surely benefit from your experience.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thanks Eloise- I'll keep you posted!:)

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

OK- yesterday the first seed germinates- today- Sat.- I most of the seeds have hatched! Here's the pics-
    {{gwi:460551}}

{{gwi:460552}}
    {{gwi:460553}}

Now- I'm wondering if they need to go in a regular potting mix, or a cactus mix like an adult Plumeria would require. Any suggestions?

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Very neat project. I would probably just pot them up like regular adult plumeria - same media. That is what I always do. I have a ton of plummie seeds I need to plant and lots of packing peanuts we got from some airplane parts crates last spring. so I might just try this. I hope my seeds are still viable they are from last year lol.
    ~SJN

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Cool Kathy. Thanks for the update. Let us know what you pot them in and give us a few follow ups.
    Bill

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I agree with SJN. I use a regular high quality potting mix for rooted plumies. The only time I use a different medium is when I'm rooting cuttings. I'd wait until the cotyledons are open, which won't be long, before potting them up. I wouldn't leave them in the "boats" until true leaves appear.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Karyn-
    I was just about to pot them up in perlite, coir and granite grit. Are you saying to leave them in water until the first leaf appears? I guess I didn't quite understand your last post! LOL!

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Sounds like Karyn is saying don't wait until their 1st leaves appear. Great job Kathy!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I wait until the cotyledons (seed leaves) appear, not true leaves. There's no reason to pot plumeria seedlings or even a rooted plumeria in such a gritty mix. Save that for rooting cuttings.

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You guys and gals are all great! I couldn't manage without you!:)

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

Great job! keep it up your pictures are great, I am wondering about starting some seeds like that, but I would like to try something different,like putting the container in the oven just to see if thewy will sprout that way, what do you all think? Thanks Marcelina Nunes

• chena
    12 years ago

I started some this week.. I got tired of fighting the peanuts so I used the top of a food container from the resturant..

Kylie

{{gwi:460554}}

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Kylie that looks even easier

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Looks like an alien world, LOL! Kylie, it appears that the flatter styrofoam would keep the seeds more steady -- good thinking.

12 years ago

Good job recycling those food containers kylie!!

• kasha77
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Wow- they do look so easy! Good going girl!:)

• ibartoo
    12 years ago

I just have a question, how do you get them out of the styrofoam before planting them, or do you remove it at all?

• figara
    12 years ago

Ibartoo ,you have to brake the styrofoam very careful not to damage the seedling.

12 years ago

What other seeds do you guys think would be fun to try and might work with this method?

• chena
    12 years ago

The little flat boat break in half very easy.. I don't have a heat mat so I put them in the microwave and turned on the surface light and it provides heat.. Several have already germinated..

I have been looking around for something else I could start like this also.. Doesn't Garlic Vine have similar seeds??

Kylie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Garlic vine does and orchid tree, pandora vine, catalpa tree, trumpet vines. Allamanda seeds aren't similar but their shape might make this possible. I know I've planted others with a similar shape but can't think of them offhand

• ibartoo
    12 years ago

Thanks everyone, I may try this. I have lots of plumie seeds to start soon.
    Linda

• chena
    12 years ago

I just found some Cat's Claw seeds I am going to start them this way and see what happens..

Kylie

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm trying it with allamanda seeds. They have a nice flat teardrop shape but they take a while to germinate, about 4-6 weeks, so I'm not sure that they won't rot instead of sprout.
    {{gwi:460555}}

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

this was kind of interesting

I am a Canadian who has a home the past 12 years, half a year in Fort Myers FLorida

I have four plumeria trees in my yard but mostly

do not see them in bloom when I am here
    I know they bloom as neigbhours have sent photos
    Silly but I didn't even know they have a nice seed.
    What plant doesn't have seeds
    When though do they normally set seed.
    And I have to look more about this sprouting seed in these peanuts

Here I think I am sort of a knowledgeable gardener, but always more and more new or rather great ideas.

Thanks for the information as well

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I'm not sure when plumies normally set seed in FL but I go down to West Palm every winter and often see trees with seed pods that appear close to ripe. The seed pods take many months to mature. You might have seen pods and not known it. Here's a link to some plumeria seed pod pics.

Here is a link that might be useful: plumeria seed pods

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Kathy, How about some pictures of the Plumeria seedlings? Maybe start another thread as this one is very long. Also, maybe throw in some pics of your Brug cuttings progress. I know you have to be well into that by now.
    Bill

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

For days far into the future, here is a link to Part 2:

Here is a link that might be useful: OT-Starting Plumeria Seeds in Styrofoam boats! Part 2

Sponsored
Industry Leading Swimming Pool Builders in Licking County, OH