Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arghyagardengirl

Brugmansia Angel's Flight

arghyagardengirl
12 years ago

Just bloomed a few days ago. I've been waiting to work with this one for five years.

Very excited. :)

{{gwi:460765}}

{{gwi:460767}}

Comments (13)

• maile_2010
    12 years ago

Beautiful. Love the color speckling.
    Jerry

• karyn1
    12 years ago

It's beautiful. I was given a varigated (green on green) Angel's Flight a couple weeks ago. I hope I get blooms this summer.

• mnwsgal
    12 years ago

This is a beauty. Thanks, Kyle, for posting the link to her store. I enjoyed looking at all the brugs you offer and have my eye on a couple.

• figara
    12 years ago

Gorgeous!

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

karyn

could we see a picture of this Brugmansia Angels Flight

I have been growing Brugmansia a number of years
    Growing them of late years has been a problem I have not yet completely worked out

I spend half a year in Canada and the other in Florida down in the south of the state

It is an entire story that no one much is interested in hearing,
    my problems in keeping brugmansia in good health

This past late fall though I ws given some cuttings by one of the garden web members.
    Brought them with me to Florida and am I ever pleased that most of them did survive and are now leafing out.

THE Brugmansia you mentioned though does have great appeal to me.
    Will see if I can find a photo
    Good luck with growing it and bloom success

• karyn1
    12 years ago

Diane I can post a pic if you'd like but there's not much to see yet. It's a rooted cutting, about 10" tall. The blooms should look like the one in Liz's post but the foliage is green on green, similar to Emerald Frost.

• sommergardens
    12 years ago

I have been growing both the regular and variegated Angel's Flight here in Florida for 4 years now and I'm not sure either one really likes it here. Although the blooms can be beautiful, the plants love to drop buds and I've never had a flush of blooms on them. The wood also has a funky look to it, the regular AF more often that the variegated. I'm not sure it is just a Florida thing because a couple of other growers in other parts of the country have also shared similar comments about this cultivar.

This may be one European cultivar that just does not like it here in the U.S.

• tommysmommy
    12 years ago

Wow, that's pretty special. Love the color but adore the multiple skirts!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I was told by the person that sent me the variegated AF that the stems were kind of gnarly. I have a few varieties that have similar funky stems, Angel's Golden Dream being another one that does. If it doesn't like the heat I might very well have problems over the summer but hopefully it will improve during Sept & Oct.

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I do believe Angel's Flight is a cool weather Brugmansia. Temps above 80 degrees with strong sunlight cause bud drop, but moving the entire tree into a more shaded situation halts the problem. Trunk texture is gnarly, but not corky as other Brugs (Desiree) are. I have noticed very strange behavior among the Euros, not all, but many. Each cultivar requires getting to know it's individual strengths, weaknesses and particular needs both environmentally and nutritionally. Historically, Angel's Flight has been valuable as a pollen donor passing along interesting traits to it's offspring, so the plant's value as a pollen donor certainly makes it desirable for the breeding. In my case, I'm crossing Euros to the more established older, domestic Brugmansia that have robust growth and flowering habits. I am also crossing those older Brugs to AF. The next generation of results from these crosses should be quite interesting.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Simply luscious!

• karyn1
    12 years ago

I don't know if it's the oppressive humidity we suffer with during late summer, but even moving brugs to a shaded location doesn't normally halt bud drop due to the high heat. I just have to wait out the cooler temps.

I'd even went as far as cooling my greenhouse with misters and exhaust fans over the summer months to grow Tasconia passifloras and Sphaerocarpium brugs. It did work well until we got almost 2 straight months with temps in the upper 90's to low 100's. I couldn't keep the greenhouse under 85 during the day without actually installing an air conditioner and that wasn't happening. The misters and fans just couldn't keep up.

• pearlgirl
    12 years ago

That one is prettier than pretty!!

Margaret

Sponsored
Central Ohio's Source for Reliable, Top-Quality Roofing Solutions