Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lovelyiris

The Passion Vine Story

lovelyiris
16 years ago

Although this is not as lengthy or as good a story, for those who have not heard this it might be interesting. I've heard this all my life. Actually I was taught this story many many years ago by another gardener.

Christ's Passion

The story makes a little more sense when your looking or holding one of the blossoms in your hand.

Apparently, an Augustine monk made a sketch of this New World blossom in the early 1600s and brought it back to Rome, where it caused quite a stir. Perhaps coincidentally, perhaps providentially, each part of the flower could be linked to elements in the story of Christ's Passion. The 10 petals (actually five petals and five sepals) represented the 10 apostles at the crucifixion, the filaments represented Jesus' crown of thorns or halo, the five anthers were the wounds and the three stigmas were the nails. Papal scholars immediately declared the flower a divine blessing sent to further their missionary efforts.

Most of you have probably already heard this but I felt it was good enough to share with those that maybe had not heard the story of the passion vines.

Happy Gardening,

Marian

Comments (9)

• maemae0312
    16 years ago

Marion, Thanks for sharing, I had not heard this before and I just purchased my first passion vine.

Mary

• daniellalell
    16 years ago

Marian, I was just reading that to DH yesterday from one of my perennial books.
    The only things you left out are that the five lobed leaves represented the hands of the persecutors, and the tendrils represent the cords and whips they used.

We must be thinking alike becuase I was going to post this myself today, lol.

Thanks for sharing!
    Daniella

• eloise_ca
    16 years ago

Never heard that story before Marian. Next time I look at my passi's flowers I will think of you sharing this story. Thanks.

• rialira
    16 years ago

I remember reading that two summers ago when I bought my first passi and read up on it. seems a bit of a stretch but I guess it makes sense, hehe

what kind of passies do you guys have? I LOVE passies and have a few myself that are starting to wake up. maybe we can trade cuttings in the spring.

Ria

• honeybunny2 Fox
    16 years ago

Marina, thank you for posting this information, I was told this by my mother when I was about 9 years old and have been trying to remember it. All I could remember are the 5 wounds of Christ, the crown of thorns, the nails, and I thought there were some doves, but I might have gotten that confuses with the sand dollar. I am so glad you posted it, it brings back great memories, of my mother walking me thru her gardens explain all the diffrent plants. I know this special time she spent with me is the reason I love all living plants. She knew so much, I wish she were alive, so I could have given her a brugmansia, she had never even seen one, she died in 1998, and I got my first plant in 2000. I know you will think I am crazy, but I actaully talk to her while I garden, I feel she is there with me. Barbra,

• threas
    16 years ago

Marin Thanks for refreshing my memory! Barbra, you're not crazy. That's a wonderful way to be close to your mother.Beautiful story.
    Theresa

• rialira
    16 years ago

I often think of my grandmother when I'm gardening. she passed almost ten years ago, and she was my favorite person in the world. I learned so much about plants from her when I was little. sometimes it feels like she's even there with me. you're definitely not crazy :)

Ria

• rigo74
    16 years ago

Marion,

I have one of these plants growing in the backyard and shared this same story with my kids. They loved the story.

Rigo74

• bethwsleep_gmail_com
    12 years ago

I have been living in my grandmother's house since shortly after my grandfather's passing and as she was in extended care with Alzheimer's. She always loved her flowers, the birds, and God. I was admiring the blooming moonflowers when I noticed this beautiful exotic flower growing up the fence. I picked one bloom, stuck it in my hair, and took about a dozen pics of myself for a fresh fb profile pic. My grandmother's sister immediately recognised the flower and asked me to look up the story. Wow...it's like she guided me there to see that single beautiful bloom that has such a beautiful story...thank you.