Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Hello All!!

Posted by central_cali369 USDA z9b/ Sunset z9 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 15, 10 at 22:52

Hello everyone! Man, I have been away for such a long time! It's always nice to come and read all of the posts!

As for me, it seems we had a very short winter, but we did have a very cold night that took a heavy toll on tender plants. The official temperature for my city was 27F, but judging by the damage sustained by some plants, it had to have been a lot colder. My brugmansias, for example, lost 2-year old wood, which is very unusual. Other plants that were supposed to have withstood temperatures down to 20F without any damage took heavy damage from that one freeze event. Luckily, that was all in December and it seems we're out of the tunnel this year! I took out some potted brugs last week and they're leafing out beautifuly. Other projects that were under way since fall have finally been completed! & today I spent the day doing some cleaning and harvesting the last of the passionfruit. Here are some pictures for you all to enjoy:

Grevillea Coastal Gem
Photobucket
A couple of different roses
Photobucket Photobucket Photobucket

Sea Lavendar
Photobucket
Arbutus Marina
Photobucket
Ostespermum
Photobucket
Gazania
Photobucket
A couple of out-of-season petunias
Photobucket
Tecomaria Capensis
Photobucket
Callistemon Citrinus
Photobucket

An Apricot Blossom
Apricot
Mixed Succulents (Euphorbia Polygona, Aptenia, Sedums & Echeverias). Also, Erica Mamossa blooming the the back
Succulents
My first attempt at mass propagation of succulents from leaves. Let's hope it's a success!
Propagation Tray

Have a blessed Day!

Josh

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Hello All!!

Very nice pictures. You have some beautiful plants.
Thanks for sharing.

Ingrid

o

I have some gardening friends that had quite a bit of damage from the unseasonably low temps you all had but it's nice there now. Your plants are lovely as usual but I really like your Grevillea Coastal Gem and the Arbutus Marina. I wonder how that would do as a container tree? Good luck with the succulents. They'll probably root easily.

o

Thank you for the beautiful pictures, It really is nice seeing blooming plants. When I drove off the property today at work, there was a lone iris in bloom, talk about lifting my spirit. They said this is the coldest winter we have had in 20 years. Barbra,

o

Karyn, arbutus make excellent potted plants. Arbutus Unedo is a smaller tree by comparison (up to 30 feet). There is also a dwarf Arbutus variety that does well in pots, although I don't remember the name of that variety. I'm a real sucker for this tree's bark. The smooth maroon bark is what really makes me love this tree. It's the next best thing next to Archostaphylos Glauca (spelling?), also called Manzanita. Unfortunatley many Mazanitas are waaaay to fussy for home gardens, and like many California natives, will up-&-die with summer irrigation.

Honeybunny2, i was reading about that at weather.com.
It seems like everyone east of the Rockies is getting pounded with storm after storm. Hang in there!

Haase, thank you!

o

Josh, great photos of your plants! I especially like the arbutus Marina. Have your tasted the fruit? Hope you will be able to keep it down to size by potting it up, unless you have lots of yard space.

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Feb 20, 10 at 12:20

How Wonderful to have so much blooming..LOL Not a dang thing here... Great Shots !!Thanks!!

Kylie

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here