Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Suncrest Brugmansia about to bloom

Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 0:47

I posted about the first bloom on my plant last year when I was trying to figure out what it was, and when it would bloom. Well, as that earlier post described, we know what it looks like. However we still don't know exactly what it is. It was originally sold by the wholesaler Suncrest as B. sanguinea 'Inca Princess', the all yellow form. The Brugmansia gurus all agree it is part vulcanicola, hence a "vulsa" (VULcanicola plus SAnguinea). One possibility is that 'Inca Princess' made a seedpod, perhaps by pollination with the Strybing vulsa. Suncrest then either sold the seedlings or rooted cuttings derived from a seedling.

I bought two plants (the same?) and have one in the ground where it's gotten much bigger. Unfortunately, it's in a spot where it gets afternoon sun, so when it's hot (70s and 80s), it tends to wilt. As a Sphaerocarpium, or cold-group Brugmansia, it prefers cooler weather and is not suited to places with hot summers. Probably AHS heat zone 4 is the limit. Here's a link to a heat zone map: http://www.upsidedownpatiogarden.com/images/heat_zonemaplg.gif

Anyway, it has a couple buds about to open, and hopefully it can form more before it gets hot (we average about 75/55 in the summer). The buds are about 7 feet in the air.

Grassy Knoll Exotics sells this plant and I'll give a link. If you want to see in advance what it looks like, there's a photo from last year on their site.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suncrest vulsa at Grassy Knoll

This post was edited by mark4321 on Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 1:18

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Suncrest Brugmansia about to bloom

• Posted by mark4321 10a CA Sunset 16/17 (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 19, 14 at 1:11

We can't change the titles: It should read "Suncrest vulsa about to bloom."

I do have a plant, rooted last year, that I'm looking for a home for, either for trade or possibly for postage. It looks kind of odd because it's being in the shade for too long. Good morning only sun is very limited in my small growing area. It needs a bigger pot, a stake, good morning sun and fertilizer. Healthy roots are emerging from the bottom of the pot

I can also include a couple unrooted cuttings. I typically root small tip cuttings, not the big ones typical of the warmer growing hybrids. This plant essentially elongated in the shade from such a small cutting.

I don't like to send plants to their death, and this is one that needs it cool... I will be reluctant to send it somewhere where it will not do OK.

At the bottom is a link to the post from last year.

Here is a link that might be useful: Suncrest vulsa thread from last year

o

Mark, I would really like it if you considered to have me adopt your plant.. I'm in zone 5b, and overwinter in our basement...I could send you postage, as I only have smaller good brugs, and one large Dr. Suess, that I'm sure everyone has.... Please let me know,,,,
Thanks,,

Sandra
wolfen634@netzero.net

o

Thu, Mar 20, 14 at 23:41

Tonight's photo of the bud(s):

o

Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 3:16

At midnight, the first flower is opening.

o

Spectacular, and thanks for sharing! Is it sort of an orange color? At least that's how it comes through.

o

Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 11:57

By 8 A.M. the flower has opened.

Eloise, the orange color will continue to fade, to a more pure pink. That's a characteristic it shares with the Strybing vulsa, and one of the reasons we suspect the Strybing plant may be a parent. This one has more intense colors, though.

o

Great photos!! I love the cold variety brugs. Too bad they won't do well here :(

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here