Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

I'm back and everything is alive

karyn1
14 years ago

I was happily surprised to see that none of my plants died while I was away. I had 1 plant that dried out and ended up defoliated but it will grow back. Even my brug and passiflora seedlings are fine.

We had a great time but it's so exhausting walking around the parks. Of course I helped myself to some seeds along the way and there was a hedge of the most wonderfully scented Tea Olive shrubs at the hotel so I just had to take cuttings. lol This one smells different and has slightly different foliage then the one I already have. I hope I'm able to root them. Surprisingly there's a flower and garden show going on at Epcot thru May. I had no idea it was going on until I got there. There wasn't that much that I hadn't seen before and didn't already have but the gardens are pretty. The landscape in Disney in general is nice. The only unusual thing I bought that I hadn't seen before were Castanospermum australe seeds. I also collected some tree seeds that I have to get ID's on.

Of all the strange things to happen I ran into one of Kyle's classmates families. Disney is packed full of people and I happen to run into someone I know, weird. BTW I'll never fly Southwest again. In Jan they lost my luggage. This time they ruined all my clothing! We flew into Orlando in the pouring rain. We got to the baggage carousel and waited for 2 hours along with 6 other flights that arrived around the same time. It turns out that the a**holes at SW Air left everyone's luggage out in the pouring rain or maybe left them in puddles but everything inside everyone's luggage was soaked. Some people even had several inches of standing water in their bags! There must have been at least 300 people filing claims. They cut us a check immediately but what a PITA! Would it have been so hard to cover the luggage with a tarp if it had to sit outside? It's not like it never rains in FL. duh. Oh yeah my son's school band did very well and placed 1st in most divisions and 3rd in one.

Comments (10)

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I'm glad your plants are all healthy and happy! It sounds like you'll have some new specimens soon! I'm glad the vacation went well and aside from the unfortunate wet luggage incident, it sounds like you had fun!

Welcome home Karyn!

Pam

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Hey Karyn,
    glad you had fun and all your plants are fine!
    Welcome back!
    Siam.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Glad to hear all is well with your plants. So which procedure exactly did you use? I'd like to know what worked. I know you bagged, well watered plants, but did you use the diaper material idea?

- Sandy

• haase
    14 years ago

Aaaah, Ohhh, hmmmm!
    Things come in threes. I would never entrust my luggage to anyone any more!

Welcome back.
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Ingrid don't say that. lol I probably won't be flying anywhere until August anyway.

Sandy I think it was more luck then anything. The weather here while I was gone was cloudy and rain so the greenhouse never got hot. Most of the plants I was concerned would dry out I set in trays of water and some were sealed in baggies. Everything was thoroughly saturated before I left. If it had been sunny here while I was gone I'm sure there would have been problems with plants in the greenhouse.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn, glad the trip was good for the entire family. Wow, can't believe the airline did it again! I have never see a Tea Olive shrub, but know lots of people wanting it. What do you plan to do if you succeed in growing the Castanospermum australe, and it can grow to 130 feet, LOL! Good to see you back, and that all your plants did fine.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm going to train it as a bonsai. Somehow I don't think it would fit in the greenhouse full grown. lol The Tea Olive isn't really much to look at and the flowers are tiny but the smell is incredible. It looks something along the line of a camellia without the showy blooms.

• chena
    14 years ago

HAHAHA!! I am NEVER traveling anywhere with you!!!
    Glad to have you back.. Sounds like everyone had a great time..

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Thank you Karyn, I will have to keep in mind that it wasn't all that hot yet.

Is that diaper method I've heard used when it's hot out or for extended leaves, just soaking it down and flipping it plastic side up, around the top of the soil?

- Sandy

• lovelyiris
    14 years ago

Your so much like me Karyn it isn't funny. If it wasn't for bad luck you'd have no luck.

Just remember at Southwest Bags fly free! Another thing, they provided you with free washing. LOL I hope the check was worth all the hassell you had to go through.

Love Ya, Marian

Sponsored
Industry Leading Interior Designers & Decorators in Franklin County