Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mattmatts_momma

When to start Fertilizing new growth

mattmatts-momma
12 years ago

Hi,

I have 3 cuttings that are just now starting to leaf out and I was wondering when I should start fertilizing the plants? I have never grown Brugmansia before and I read that they need fertilzer at some point, but can not find where I read that information.

Lidia

Comments (8)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

You can fertilize as long as there is active growth, which yours have! I feed them with every watering, only I dilute the strength. They love it!

• Rubby
    12 years ago

Kasha is correct. As soon as they start grwing, feed them. And it isn't at just "some point" they need it. They always want it. You can almost hear them calling your name to feed them. Like the little shop of horrors. "Feeeeeeed Me!!!"

• ryecooder
    12 years ago

what do you feed them ?

• Rubby
    12 years ago

I use MiracleGro myself. Although I would like to hear what other people use and hear how it works in comparison to MiracleGro

• kasha77
    12 years ago

I use any type of bloom booster. (more phosphates) Walmart carries "Expert" Plant Food Fast Results" in a yellow and orange 1.5lb box. I also use composted horse manure, and a systemic granular. So you see, they love lots of food!

• mattmatts-momma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Thank you for the replies. I guess I also should have asked, how often to feed?

I gave mine a sprinkle of Miracle Grow yesterday and they look very green today, I can't believe how fast the cuttings just took off since I planted them.

I have never tried to grow these before. My neighbor has one in a big pot by her pool house. I never knew what it was, but I do know that it takes alot of water. A few times when I alpaca sat for her, I remember saying "oh my, that thing needs some water"!

I need to find some bigger pots to put them in.

• Rubby
    12 years ago

Yes. I am in search of larger pots as well. Maybe something like a 10 or 15 gallon, but a terra-cotta plastic to make it look nice on the deck.

I usually feed them every time I water, but I am sure that can be cut to every other time you water if you would like.

When you said "I gave mine a sprinkle", do you mean you sprinkled the MiracleGro on the top of the soil? I have personally wondered about doing that and have thought "why not?". But I normally mix the miraclegro with water in a water bottle and water them that way. But I have been thinking about sprinkling some on the soil instead, and letting it dissolve into the soil with normal watering....I assume there might be a reason NOT to do this that I am not aware of.

• mattmatts-momma
    Original Author
    12 years ago

When I said "I gave mine a sprinkle", I was fertilizing something else with the watering can and poured what I had left over the cuttings. They really look good, although I have noticed towards the afternoon, when they are in full sun, they start to wilt even though the soil is still wet. That might be normal though.

Sponsored
Winks Remodeling & Handyman Services
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars1 Review
Custom Craftsmanship & Construction Solutions in Franklin County