Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xeriscape8321

Monika Gottschalk's SOMMERZAUBER

xeriscape8321
13 years ago

This is Sommerzauber. It's a Monika Gottschalk cross of Fandango x KBS...excellent warm weather brug having done well for several growers here in florida. Color can vary from yellow to orange depending on the weather condition...supposedly she gets darker in the cooler temps..

{{gwi:463102}}

{{gwi:463104}}

Comments (18)

• kasha77
    13 years ago

I love her! She's a beauty! I'm preferring yellows lately and she's wonderful! Thanks for sharing her, she'll have to go on my wants list!
    kasha77

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Gary
    what a Beauty, she is, Thank you for posting her we need to see some green

Elizabeth

• chena
    13 years ago

Nice Gary!!

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

She actually got a bit darker today...but since it's going to be 87F degrees i can't really expect to see the darkest coloration that is seen in Nov-Dec....
    but you know what? I'll settle for this color any day!!

{{gwi:463107}}

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

How wide are those blooms? They look really large. Very Pretty!!

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Very nice. I love the bright multi skirted yellows.

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

From tendril to tendril you are looking at about 8 inches wide and from the tip of the calyx to the end of the skirt you are looking at 12 inches long...these are by no means small blooms. They fall in the med/large category....There are lots of buds on this thing too.
    It is reported by Monika to be a heavy bloomer...i can def see that coming this fall/winter (supposedly with deeper coloration)

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Gary,
    Beautiful flower. Are you the person who has one of these plants for sale now on EBAY? 19' with 2 buds.
    Bill

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

not me... That would be Alice Harris...one of the few people here in the states that actually has this brug

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Ooooooh, that is a beauty! Thanks for sharing.

• rmbill
    13 years ago

OMG!!! Sold for $132.50 ( Ebay )plus $22.00 for shipping! I need to grow some of these. selling a few of these could finance my Brug habit quite nicely.
    Bill

• karyn1
    13 years ago

That's only if you do it fast. In a relatively short time the price will likely go way down. You also have to be a known seller to get those prices. There's a seller on Ebay, "strange and wonderful things" that gets top dollar for anything that he lists. I've seen the same plants listed at the same time with other reliable, but lesser known sellers, that only go for a fraction of what his auctions go for. It's odd.

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I'm not one to accuse anyone of anything but driving up the price of an ebay item is easy. Either you place bids on the item yourself under a different name or have friends place bids. This makes the item seem more desirable and may cause the item to end up in a bidding war....ebay is full of unscrupulous loopholes...like charging .$0.99 for an item with $29.99 shipping....know what you are buying and know exactly how much you are willing to pay for it...or else you could fall victim to a false bidding war...that goes for any auction item on any of these auction sites. Ebay is not the only game in the market.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I understand completely what you are saying and agree. I honestly don't believe that's the case with SWT. People just flock to his auctions. He does carry some really nice plants and many that are legitimately hard to find. He starts his listings at reasonable prices with fair S&H. His listings look great and the descriptions are excellent and people flock to his stuff and drive up the prices. It's been happening for years. I'm sure he gets quite a bit of his stock from Strybing and Annie's. He is a knowledgeable grower and not at all shady. He just seems to have a "Midas touch". More power to him. I wish I could do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: SWT

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Anytime you can get a reference on a reputable seller....go for it...that is the only way we can assure ourselves of getting what we ordered. Referrals are the only way to go when dealing with online sellers. Ask fellow growers before purchasing...you'll find out who got burned and from who...on the other hand people can also share their experiences with reputable sellers...gives everyone a bit of peace of mind.

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here she blooming gain. I'm seeing bright yellows early in the morning and more of an Apricot later in the day.......

{{gwi:463109}}

• arghyagardengirl
    13 years ago

Hopefully, if my plan for stabilizing Brugmansia prices gets into full swing, you won't see quality Brugmansia going for more than around $50.00 tops, unless the hybridizers themselves choose to exceed that amount. The idea is to get the plants OFF eBay and sell them independently with the community's best interest in mind.

There is a group of hybridizers and collectors working together right now to accomplish that goal. We want to see more of these plants in the hands of gardeners and hybridizers. It will help advance Brugmansia R&D more quickly and enable more gardeners to enjoy the plant.

• chena
    13 years ago

Big things are getting ready to happen to put some of the "Gee I can't afford that" or "I wish that was available here" Brugs in the hands of Breeders, Collectors and the Beginner who see's something they just Love!! ;0)!! Thang of Beauty!!!

Kylie