Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
greeningup123

How Fast Do Brugmansia's Grow?

greeningup123
11 years ago

Hello All,

Back in December I purchased some Brugmansia seeds from an online vendor. They are not special cultivar's, just the plain white and yellow types. The now 6 seedlings I have range anywhere from 3" to 8" in height. I would like to plant these in large decorative urns in late Spring (late May). My question is, how fast do Brugmansia's grow in their first year? I am worried that the urns will look underwhelmed with small plants in them...I thought I read somewhere that Brugs grow rapidly - Will these Angel Trumpet's really grow to 4 or 5 feet in one summer?

Thanks,
I appreciate it.

Comments (5)

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    11 years ago

It will depend on the variety on how fast they grow. Some are easier to keep in pots and some want to grow up to be big monsters very quickly. If you know the parentage of your seeds then it will be helpful. Seedlings will usually grow for a year or so before they flower especially in a cooler climate. Seedlings can sometimes get pretty tall before they flower as well but not always.

If you get a cutting that has a Y on it or is taken above a Y shaped branch of a brugmansia plant, you can usually get it to flower on a shorter plant. They will also flower sooner. Hope that helps.
    ~SJN

• greeningup123
    Original Author
    11 years ago

I am pretty certain the seed packets read "brugmansia suavolens" on them.

Thanks for your response.
    Other responses welcomed, too.

• kasha77
    10 years ago

Those should be very fragrant. I wouldn't pot up any small plant into a huge container because it might rot. Just pot it up to the next sized pot, and it will eventually out grow it and repot again until it's ready for the big one. I've lost many brugs to a huge pot and rotten roots! best wishes!

• fool4flowers
    10 years ago

They do grow quickly but really need to be up potted like Kathy said at first until they get bigger. I have seen some in the ground grow to 6 feet in a season and others stayed shorter so with seedlings you just have to see how they develop.

• 1Tex1
    10 years ago

I have a white that I planted (seed) in last part of Nov and now it is three feet tall and is blooming the second flower and has more.

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions