Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
OT: Lemon Tree

Posted by tommysmommy Colorado (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 12, 12 at 9:42

Okay all you tropicals growers. I have a question regarding my 10 year old lemon tree. It's been in the same pot for years, reliably set fruit for most of those years, until just the last few. Any ideas why it's not setting fruit from its hundreds of blossoms? Same window as in years past, same fertilizer. Can't pot up or it will be too heavy.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: OT: Lemon Tree

Have you tried asking on the citrus forum? The majority of my citrus fruit abort early on, especially when there's a lot of blooms, but they've always done that.

o

Um, good thought. I'll do that.

o

Maybe it just needs to have the soil changed. I imagine many years in the same pot would use up the nutrients in the soil even if its getting fertilizer or the soil could become very compacted after a long time. I do keep several citrus in pots like buddahs hand, all my diffent limes, lemons, grapefruits, pummelo and blood oranges in pots but keep the regular oranges and kumquats in the ground. Some of the larger ones I do not pot up anymore. My buddah's hand and thai limes are 8 feet now and I have to use a hand truck to get them around and even that is a pain lol. I do repot their soil every couple years or so though without going up to a larger pot. I root prune lots of trees beside just citrus and it doesn't seem to bother them too much. I have tall sausage trees that I prune off all thier roots every winter and shove them into tiny pots and keep them dry all winter.

Citrus will generally drop most of thier fruit or blossoms and only keep around 10% while they are young trees.

o

SJN, when you repot without going up a pot size, do you remove soil from the roots, and how far in to the rootball do you go? I've been trimming the tree back every year to keep it small. Not heightwise, as it has never gone above 4-4 1/2 feet, but widthwise. I'm quite sure the plant is rootbound, but sure don't want to wrestle with another big pot.

o

When I repot in the same pot I saw off the bottom third of the rootball and perhaps saw off some of the sides as well.
It sounds drastic but they love it.

o

I did repot, into the same pot, gave it new potting soil and scraped off an inch or more around the whole thing. Not as drastic as what you did, cearbhaill, but I'm watching it for a while to see how it does. It just keeps flowering, but the leaves appear to be less than perky.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here