Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Blue Brugmansia?

Posted by tommysmommy Colorado (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 10:20

I was at a local nursery yesterday where they grow brugs and the owner stated she'd seen a blue brugmansia being grown in Germany. Anybody hear of this or seen it?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Blue Brugmansia?

This is the only one I have ever seen
http://cgi.ebay.com/GIANT-BLUE-IOCHROMA-MINI-BRUGMANSIA-KIN-RARE_W0QQitemZ110504464503QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item19ba945077
Cassie

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sat, Mar 13, 10 at 16:56

Wouldn't a Blue Brug be a Dream come true!!LOL

o

Yes it would could you imagine how long it would take to get one and how expencive they would be I bet there would be a waiting list as long as my leg lo.olol well prob longer im short

o

Cassie,

I prefer Iochroma grandiflora to Iochroma australe. The flowers are bigger and more elongated, and actually the whole plant looks more like a Brugmansia. It's a challenge to propagate, but I'll send you unrooted cutting(s) if you want to try. I've posted a photo of this plant before on this forum.

Photobucket

Mine is not blooming at the moment, but I just saw a really nice one at Hortica in SF in bloom. They didn't have a price on it if anyone in the area is interested, but his prices are generally good.

o
RE: Blue Brug?

I would add that I've seen some Iochromas labeled Iochroma australe that I like better than others. The flowers aren't so short--actually they look like perhaps they are a hybrid with I. grandiflora, and they tend to have larger, fuzzier leaves, etc. Does anyone know whether some of these plants are in fact hybrids? I meant to post on this subject a while back with some pictures but I never got around to it.

o

That is a beauty, I have been meaning to get one I dont know much about them. I would love a cutting. Is there any special thing it needs? Is there something you are looking for I might have let me know I have alot of seedlings going right now.
thanks
Cassie

o
RE: Blue ....Brugmansia?

yep I keep comming back to this I'm so looking them both up to learn more. lolol

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 14, 10 at 10:33

I. Grandiflora is a Beautiful plant.. Mine has bloomed all Winter.. I just moved all of the Iochroma's out today..This week is suppose to be very mild.. I can't wait to get everything out and acclimated..

Kylie

o

I do not know if anyone wants to order one. I ordered one from here because they had a sale going on. LOL. I have heard they are a good online nursery.

http://www.santarosagardens.com/SearchResults.asp

o

If that's a Adam's Needle behind that I.Grandiflora it looks like those flowers are 5-6" long. That's huge compared to the other iochromas I've seen. Some one should cross that one with a plum color to.

Kylie - You should try crossing your I. Grandiflora with your Cassie's Curl. Maybe the size wouldn't offend and they are from the same family. There is that purple potato vine to...lol. Did you take it in over winter?

If anybody tries this kind of thing, remember to keep the flower sealed before and after pollinating.

- Sandy

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here