Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johnsp_gw

Looking for a large flowered pink Brugmansia

Johnsp
12 years ago

Hi,

I'm looking for a large flowered pink Brug. I found Ecuador Pink at Logees. The plant is in a 4 inch pot for $18.00 plus $10.00 shipping so I felt $28.00 for this small of a plant is rather expensive. If anyone knows where I could find either a larger plant or an unrooted cutting for less I'd be grateful. Thanks.

Scott

Comments (16)

• ptpulley
    12 years ago

I just ordered a Cherub pink from Park Seed Catalog for $9.95 and shipping is $6.95. There is a discount code for $5 off a $10 order. To use it, add a $2 packet of seeds or something. The plant is only a 3", but it's not a bad price for what looks like a beautiful variety to me.

• ptpulley
    12 years ago

Oops! Discount code is Z1A800.

I should also say that I don't know a thing about brugmansias, except that I think they are spectacular. I grew one last year, but lost it when it got cold, and I really want to try it again. I'm enjoying reading all of your posts about them.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

ptpulley- Your email isn't listed so folks can't contact you, so email me, I can help you out! gardensbykasha@yahoo.com

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Ptpulley thanks. I'm going to order the Brug from Parks.

Scott

• kasha77
    12 years ago

A 3" cutting is a VERY small cutting. Why would anyone sell such a tiny start?

• ptpulley
    12 years ago

I just hate to spend a lot of money on one when I'm not sure how it will do for me. :( Actually, I bought a much bigger one last year and it gave me several blooms that were just wonderful. I didn't bring it in before we got a frost and it lost all its leaves. I thought it was dead, and I threw it away. Now, reading all the posts here, I think it was probably fine and I feel so bad that I let it go! So now I'm trying a little inexpensive one and hoping I can nurse it along.

• Bob_A
    12 years ago

Kathy, Kasha77 can help you out.
    I'd try her first.

• Johnsp
    Original Author
    12 years ago

I just ordered Cherub from Park Seed. The only other place I could find this variety was PDN for $22 and Logee's for $25 so I feel that Park's had the best deal and all sellers offered the same size. So $17 with shipping was the best deal. Since Brugs grow so fast I don't mind starting with a small one. Hopefully I can get it to bloom this year. I'll put it in my greenhouse till I can put outside hopefully the end of April.

Scott

• rmbill
    12 years ago

Scott, enjoy your plant. Cherub is a nice plant and will give you lots of blossoms, probably a few this year. That is a pretty small plant for someone to be selling. If you had read the above you would have gotten a much nicer plant for less. We take care of each other here on GW. Join us for the fun and benefits. In the fall many of us give cuttings and seeds away for postage. That is an awefully nice way to get some really good varieties. Many of the varieties would cost quite a lot on Ebay or even more at a nursery. Most nurseries don't carry the really nice varieties, anyway.
    Bill

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    12 years ago

Kasha, You have some beautiful brugs! When will you be open for ordering? It looks like all of your brugs are "X On Hold" (?).

Thanks!
    Carol in Jax

Here is a link that might be useful: Gardens By Kasha

• ptpulley
    11 years ago

I got my Cherub start from Park's today and I'm very happy with it. It is very thick and sturdy and it has lots of leaves and several new sprouts near the bottom of the stem. Maybe it will give me some cuttings to trade with someone this fall. I'm so excited to watch it grow!

• kasha77
    11 years ago

Hi Carol-
    Thanks for the compliments on my brugs. I'm on hold because I'm currently recuperating from some physical problems. (see- "oh my aching back and hip" post) You can email me privately for more info, as we are not allowed to advertise here on garden web forum. Thanks!

• bronxfigs: New York City/7b
    11 years ago

Try:

MARANANTHA NURSERY and LANDSCAPING, WINNSBORO, TEXAS (903-857-2300)....large selection, large rooted cuttings/small trees

Happy hunting.

Frank

• Patrick888
    11 years ago

Scott, did you find your large pink brug? 'Pink Beauty' is the largest I've seen...both a large plant and large pink blooms. I had it at one time (potted), but actually had to tie it with guy wires to keep it from blowing over, even in a sheltered area.

I'm 5'11" and could barely reach the bottoms of the lowest blooms on that brug!

• ptpulley
    11 years ago

Patrick,
    I live very close to you and just starting to grow a little rooted Cherub cutting. Did you grow your large brug in this area? Did you grow it in a pot and take it inside in the fall? I want to be sure I winter mine over okay. Thanks.

• User
    11 years ago

I ordered my Dr. Seuss from Maranatha, and they were back ordered until the last of May I think it was. Since the plants were small, Steve at Maranatha sent along a bonus brug, Marrakesh, and I am very pleased with their customer service. Quick shipping and the plants were well packed.

I mention this experience because BronxFigs listed them above as a source of brugs.