Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
akat71

Need help friends!

akat71
14 years ago

These are the only brugs that came up from my seeds. The ones on the left look pretty good, but the ones on the right are kind of scrawny... Will the scrawny ones make it or should I abort their mission? Also, when do I transplant them into larger pots?

{{gwi:465143}}New brugs
Thanks for the help!

Kitty

Comments (6)

• haase
    14 years ago

Hi Kitty. I'm still kinda new to brugs, started about one year ago and I've never grown any from seeds, only cuttings.
    My humble suggestion is to let them be, maybe they just need more time. What the heck, they don't take up much space. As far as repotting goes, I would wait until I know for sure that they have established a good root system and a little more top growth. Your plants look smaller than the cuttings I bought from a nursery, which were in 2" pots when I got them and they said to leave them in there for much longer. I just recently put them in a larger pot and they are now one foot tall.

Ingrid

• figara
    14 years ago

Kitty, do not abort the mission! Put them under light for 8-10 hours a day. I had a few seedlings who came out without heads (no leaves)and I kept them under lights and they are growing very well now. You can fertilize with a very week solution the ones who have true leaves.
    I do not think you need to transplant them yet.
    Good luck
    Pat

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I get a mix of brug seedlings as well. Some are quite robust and others scrawny. As long as they are growing don't neglect them. The scrawny ones might end up being the strongest adult plants. Make sure you don't over-water and there's no reason to transplant them yet. Wait until roots start growing through the peat and then just set the whole pot in another container or in the ground. While inside you actually want 14-16 hours of light and a fan on a low setting is a good idea. Good luck.

• ruth_ann
    14 years ago

Your light source should be no farther away than 2 inches from the tops of the seedlings. If need be, use books to raise up the shorter ones to the correct height. The ones on the right appear to me to have germinated later than the ones on the left and will eventually catch up. When you do transplant, hold the seedlings by their leaves, NOT their stems.... 1/2 a leaf will regrow a new leaf, there is little to no hope for a decapitated plant if the stem breaks.

• danasplants
    14 years ago

What I have found growing in peat pots they act like a whick dry out way to quick when I use them i keep a half inch of water at all times. Other wise if you miss a day no biggy but if its already bone dry and miss a day you could lose one after they have the 2nd set of leaves give them weak fertilizer to help them along this is what i do so far so good Dana

• akat71
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks for the suggestions! I will keep them under light and hope for the best!
    I used seed starting soil and they do dry out quick. I give them a little water everyday.

Sponsored
Fourteen Thirty Renovation, LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars23 Reviews
Professional Remodelers in Franklin County Specializing Kitchen & Bath