Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
donnann_gw

just another question

donnann
14 years ago

Well It's March and I have this internal thing that tells me to get on the computer and go to the gardenweb. It's like this huge magnet and I couldn't fight it if I wanted to. Soooo glad you are here.

I have 5 brugs down in the cellar. They have made it this far thank God. 3 of them are small. Can they be brought upstairs for awhile then outside in spring? Thanks, Donna

Comments (7)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

They most certainly can. Just make sure that you have adequate light and watch out for bugs. Aphids, mealies, spider mites, etc can be a problem. You will still water sparingly. With the first watering you can add calcium and magnesium (cal mag plus) or epsom salts along with B1 or Superthrive to help wake them up. Once you see foliage you can start feeding. Waking them up early will hopefully give you a headstart on blooms. Just remember to slowly acclimate it to natural sunlight. Even filtered sun can burn the foliage because it's much more intense then artificial light and/or sunlight thru a window. I will often strip much of the foliage before setting it outside but even if it burns it's not a big deal. The foliage will regrow quickly.

• chena
    14 years ago

Yup!! What she said..LOL

Kylie

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you many times. Now I'm excited!!!!

• lboyce
    14 years ago

karyn1...Well...I think I just discovered something that I didn't know thanks so much to you!! I still have a couple of more months before I can even begin to think about bringing my ATs up out of the basement. A couple of months BEFORE I bring them up, I start fertilizing full strength! Now I'm wondering if that might be part of the reason why I lose so many? Never knew about Epsom salts w/ST first. I've had a bag of Epsom salts for a couple of years but forgot what I bought it for! Will it still be good or should I get a new bag? It's never been opened. I just can't bring myself to take off leaves as my growing season is so short but now I'm gonna do what I gotta do! Thanks again for the info!

Linda

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I originally used the ES/B1 to wake up dormant plumerias but began using it on all my dormant and semi-dormant plants and have had good results. I don't know if fertilizer will hurt them but I don't like using it until I see some foliage growth unless it's something like Osmocote. That I'll just dig into anything if I have some laying around. That seems like a pretty benign fertilizer to me. I've never had it burn anything but I also don't like it as a main fertilizer and use water soluable feeds throughout the growing season, even if the plants have had a dose of Osmocote.

I'd think the ES is still good but honestly don't know. If in doubt I'd buy a new box. It's only a couple $$ at the drug store. I mix it 1 tbl : 1 gal water.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Donna, you've been given some great advice, I just wanted to say, "welcome" to the forum!

• donnann
    Original Author
    14 years ago

eloise, thank you. I think it is beyond words what I think and feel about people who are willing to share their time, wisdom and experience with others so that they can enjoy the beauty too. Amazing. Donna