Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
sandysseeds007

Help! Are some brug seeds white?

sandysseeds007
14 years ago

I am currently decorking some brug seeds and most are white. My other brug seeds, a couple of years ago, were brown. Are these white ones immature seeds? Or are some varieties giving white seeds? They're very soft but not mushy.

Thanks for any experience you have to share with me.

- Sandy

Comments (14)

• gottahosta
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Don't worry, some varieties seeds are ivory and some are dark chocolate, with all shades in between- they should be fine! At least when the seeds are light colored, you can easily see them against the cork covering.

• chena
    14 years ago

Yep.. Some are very light and Huge and some are small and dark or visa-versa..LOL They come in different sizes and colors..

• sandysseeds007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Brenda & Kylie. Especially for the fast response.
    One more thing. Some are shrivelling up after about 2 hours exposed to air, especially the smaller ones. These are the super pink I mentioned in another post. Can I assume if they shrivel that they are immature? And if so, how long can I leave them out to find out about the rest?

- Sandy

• chena
    14 years ago

If they are fresh seed they are Plump and Moist! It only takes a few days for them to dry out..It does Not mean they are immature it means they are drying out LOLOLOL ..
    You just soak the dry ones peel and plant..You can leave them out as long as you want I guess.. Not sure why you would want to tho.. Once they dry they should be packaged and stored properly OR Plant.. ;0)

• sandysseeds007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Kylie, are we talking the same thing? lol

I did notice the cork does swell up after soaking but I do mean the little white pulp looking seeds. They're were shrinking, like real smalluntil I plastic baggied them. They look kinda yellow now. I don't remember seeds shrinking on me before. It looks like they're skins just weren't mature enough and didn't stay on when I pealed them.
    I hope not...lol. I did start to worry and stopped pealing the rest.

I kept some with the cork on, as I think they might have a better chance. I did manage a small few that have a 'skin' on them but even some of them have some 'pulp?' exposed.

I let you know how it works out, pulpy looking white seed, vrs, light skin, vrs. cork left on but soaked...lol

Thanks Again Kylie - Sandy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Kylie knows a lot about seed and I am sure that she only sent you the best Sandy!!!

Pam

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Sandy where did you get the seeds? If it was from anyone here you can be assured that they are ripe. I agree that they can range anywhere from a cream to almost black with most being somewhere in between. Same with size, some are huge and others are the size of a papaya seed. Immature seeds are white but once out of the pod they shrivel up to almost nothing and the cork doesn't really rehydrate. I've had pods that have dropped before ripening and the seeds are still stark white. Sometimes they'll germinate if planted immediately.

• sandysseeds007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Pam, Even Kylie can't see behind the cork, but no, these are not from Kylie, hers I have plenty of hope for... :) I thought I made it clear earlier, I guess I wasn't that clear, but that these were not from Kylie, if they were I would of asked in private. These are super pink from the UK off eBay.

Karyn, Yeah, they did mention something about planting them right away, as they mentioned that they probably wouldn't germinate after more than this year.

I ordered 24 seeds of just Super Pink, as I heard this kind is suppose to be like Inca Sun. I've no proof of that myself except from one person. It's not a common brug here or in the states. They sent me a lot more than 24 but I presume because they don't know what will germinate...lol, some are pretty small. I wish I knew as I'd of been glad to share these, just in case I flop out.
    I only paid $6 for them, so if anybody else wants to check these out, check the link. They have other beauties there to. You have to specify just the one color you want if that is what you want.

Thanks everybody - Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: And here they are....

• chena
    14 years ago

Sandy you do know that Brug seeds don't always come true.. Just becoz you bought SP seed it was X'd to something.. With Brug seed there are no guarantee's.. Just dumb luck and a Prayer..LOL and no matter how mature a pod is there is always the chance that they have no contents.. No disrespect to anyone who breeds Brugs.. It is a calculated and time consuming effort carried out with love and passion..And besides that it isn't easy..
    Nature of the beast tho!! LOL
    Best of Luck with your seed!!

Kylie

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Sandy I recently bought several varieties from dergaertner_1 and I've had poor germination from all. Normally I get better germination from brug seeds but I would still buy from this seller. I haven't given up on the ones that haven't sprouted yet because I've had some take months to sprout but most brug seeds are up within a few weeks.

When planting immature seed I mean immediate planting before the seeds have a chance to dry at all. You pretty much need to get them right from the pod into the soil. I had a Maya pod that dropped early last fall. I planted the dozen or so most promising looking seeds. One germinated. Kylie's right, seed doesn't grow true with most brugs. Arborea's the only one I can think of offhand that does grow true.

• sandysseeds007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, I've been praying, though I'm not one to believe that God can change the atoms, or I'd be in paradise already with all the garden space I need!...lol Or something better anyway. I'd be pretty angry with God if it could change the laws of the physical world. Anyway, hoping for the right cross to come about and praying to be enabled to find garden space to put them all, so I can see what I have before winter.

I figure I'll only keep the most robust growers and any that show the best possibility for early blooming, as I only have so much room in the basement anyway...lol. I hope I'll get to see what the flowers look like this year (which you know doesn't mean much for what subsequent year's flowers will be but doubt I'll see any on most, if any. One things for sure, none will be kept based on any other reasons that a good brug would be chosen besides these points.

All my seeds are crossed with unknowns, kinda adds the element of excitement and surprise but takes away certainties.

I already have about 6 germinating but got mold on some of the best super pink cross seeds I managed to pick out (biggest seeds), so bummed! They're all in little baggies with gel crystals so I can see if they're germinating. Then they get put in their own pots. So I used the peroxide method, but I remembered I didn't have much luck using that method before, so I dipped them in Neem oil as I know fungus can't survive oil. Yes, I hope the germinating seeds will survive the oil, I can't see why not, obviously. And yes, I presoaked the SP before I decorked but didn't do it to the seeds. None of Kylies have fungus, although they haven't been in as long. Should I soak yours to Kylie? Just in case? They're in the crystals to but I can take them out. As they haven't opened yet, I could use the 1/10 part bleach/water if you think thats the best method?

Most of Kylie's MG seeds are already potted up as they have mostly germinated using the water crystals. I save space under the few lights I have. The drawback is, it's a little more work. I even dumped each seed's root in the mycrohizzal fungus to...lol And put a layer of water crystals in between the two layers of soil, which is also where the seed was pain stakingly set in. It took me hours to do the whole thing, including the cleaning of the trays...it use to take not even an hour or so...lol We're obviously looking forward to these growing for us. Nice surpise Kylie, thank you!

Thanks for advice - Sandy

• sandysseeds007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Yep, I've been praying, though I'm not one to believe that God can change the atoms, or I'd be in paradise already with all the garden space I need!...lol Or something better anyway. I'd be pretty angry with God if it could change the laws of the physical world. Anyway, hoping for the right cross to come about and praying to be enabled to find garden space to put them all, so I can see what I have before winter.

I figure I'll only keep the most robust growers and any that show the best possibility for early blooming, as I only have so much room in the basement anyway...lol. I hope I'll get to see what the flowers look like this year (which you know doesn't mean much for what subsequent year's flowers will be but doubt I'll see any on most, if any. One things for sure, none will be kept based on any other reasons that a good brug would be chosen besides these points.

All my seeds are crossed with unknowns, kinda adds the element of excitement and surprise but takes away certainties. All but the Langenbuscher x Ferbeuer, or something like that. Still waiting for them to get here.

I already have about 6 germinating but got mold on some of the best super pink cross seeds I managed to pick out (biggest seeds), so bummed! They're all in little baggies with gel crystals so I can see if they're germinating. Then they get put in their own pots. So I used the peroxide method, but I remembered I didn't have much luck using that method before, so I dipped them in Neem oil as I know fungus can't survive oil. Yes, I hope the germinating seeds will survive the oil, I can't see why not, obviously. And yes, I presoaked the SP before I decorked but didn't do it to the seeds, didn't think I'd have to. It took only 1 seed to threaten the others that were in the same little baggie. They now each have they're only baggie...lol None of Kylies have fungus, although they haven't been in as long. Should I soak yours to Kylie? Just in case? They're in the crystals to but I can take them out. As they haven't opened yet, I could use the 1/10 part bleach/water if you think thats the best method? Or what about soaking the seeds in chamomile tea? I would like the most certain method to do the job, if there's any such a thing...lol

Most of Kylie's MG seeds are already potted up as they have mostly germinated using the water crystals. I save space under the few lights I have. The drawback is, it's a little more work. I even dumped each seed's root in the mycrohizzal fungus to...lol And put a layer of water crystals in between the two layers of soil, which is also where the seed was pain stakingly set in. It took me hours to do the whole thing, including the cleaning of the trays...it use to take not even an hour or so...lol We're obviously looking forward to these growing for us. Nice surpise Kylie, thank you!

Thanks for advice - Sandy

PS. For those who don't know. I use the water gel crystals specifically for plants. By the way, they are way bigger than the diaper crystals, some as big as a nickel to a quarter size around, unless you get the smaller size which are about a dime around.
    I did mush them to make them smaller for using with seeds so the weight of them won't tear the roots when I move them out of the germination baggies to transplant.

• sandysseeds007
    Original Author
    14 years ago

They reported that I had already posted and to change the 'subject of posting' if I wanted to post again. But they did post the firts one.

• danasplants
    14 years ago

I bid on those super pink seeds they were crossed with maya Maya being the mom thats bad it it was the other way around seeds would have been good. Thats why there all white. I too bought alot of seed from degartner I am trying pearlite with water on the bottom sterile and a lid. So far so good I have a few seedlings that are 4 inches ready to be potted up. Last batch od seed I recived from him were fresh they germinated quick looked like they lifted weights Give him another try :)

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County