Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
central_cali369

OT: Blooming Desert Plants

Central_Cali369
14 years ago

As some of you have seen, I've gradually been moving on to desert plants and drought-tolerant landscaping. But don't be fooled, these plants are nothing near drabby, dull and boring! Here are some pics of blooming succulents today:

Some of you said you'd never seen an aloe bloom before, so I thought I'd post a picture of the one of my blooming Aloes. This is aloe Striata. A spineless, beauty of a plant! I love the pink stripe along the edges of the leaves. Each aloe has a different type of bloom. This one has small flowers arranged in a circle. Other aloes have HUGE bloom spikes that look like fiery red and orange feather dusters.

{{gwi:466733}}

{{gwi:466734}}

{{gwi:466735}}

I will have several other aloes blooming throughout spring and summer, but for now, this is the only one.

Next, I have finally been able to keep these California native succulents alive for more than a couple of weeks! Dudleya Pulverulenta has been on my want list for a LOOONG time and it looks like I finally have some seedlings with their first true leaves.

{{gwi:466736}}

These are some ice plants that are blooming. The pink-flowered ones in the pot are very temperamental. I made the mistake of watering some in the summer and they died on me.

{{gwi:466737}}

{{gwi:466738}}

Apricott blooms backlit by a sunset.

{{gwi:466739}}

And finally, who can guess what plant this is?! And yes, it does come from our own planet!

{{gwi:466740}}

Comments (9)