Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Growing Brugmansia From Seed

Posted by heaven4441 7B (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 14:32

Someone gave me some seed from a purple angel trumpet. I have tried to grow them several times, and nothing ever comes up. Is it even possible to grow angel trumpets from seed? If it is, what time of year do I plant them, and do I start them indoors like you would do tomatoes and squash? Thanks for any help. Carole.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Growing Brugmansia From Seed

Hi. You have datura seeds, not brugmansia seeds. The two are often confused but many daturas are grown as annuals in zones that aren't frost free. Daturas and brugs are both easy to grow from seed but I think that some varieties of daturas have better germination when started outside after threat of frost. It's possible that the seed you have is no longer viable. I'm guessing that you have datura metel which isn't cold hardy. I usually soak my datura seeds in water overnight and plant them the next day. I don't plant them deep, about 1/4" down and keep them warm. They usually start to germinate within a few weeks but some take much longer.

o

Hi Carole-
I'm from zone 7b too, and I found that I get better results if I wait til things warm up a bit here, then plant them in flats and keep them warm (they love the heat) and watch that they stay evenly moist. I started all of my Datura Metel purple and my Datura Triple yellow from seeds last year- they all turned out great! Good Luck!
kasha77
Datura Metel Triple Purple
Datura Metel Triple Purple
Photobucket

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 3, 11 at 5:28

Great Pic's Kathy!!

o

Kathy, yummy!

o

Thanks! :)

o

Kathy,
very nice pictures!

o

Thanks guys!
kasha77

o

Those pictures are Datura not Burgs!!

o

Yes, you're right. It was noted in the second post that the OP was addressing Daturas.

This post was edited by monet_g on Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 12:09

o

photo 017-1.jpg0" alt=" photo 012-2.jpg"/>

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here