Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
help with brugmansia seeds

Posted by jardinerowa 10 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 15:30

Hello all!

OK so I'm trying to sprout/grow some brugmansia seeds and having trouble with the corky seed cover. I've simply planted some seeds in potting mix, straight perlite, and also doing the baggie method.
Most of them I've left the cork cover on. When I first got the seeds I tried to peel the cover off and it just seemed to fall into pieces in my hands. I was expecting to see the little seed inside but never did, it all came off to easily. So then I tried to soak some for a day before peeling but it's still the same problem. I try to peel the cork off and it all just falls to pieces eventually and I don't know where the cork cover ends and the inner seed starts.
I think I'm just gonna go with the cork and all and hopefully that will work.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: help with brugmansia seeds

• Posted by ednam z8 Virginia (My Page) on
    Mon, Mar 18, 13 at 15:53

I'd soak them a day or two, plant in soil ( just push into soil ) then cover the soil with sand. I personally think the sand helps pull the cork off as they emerge. Keep them misted and not wet or they will rot.

You should be able to see the seed if you remove some of the cork.

o

I second what ednam says.
Just a small amount of sand - 1/16" - 1/8" helps.
Lonnie

o

If you are seeing zero seeds then the seeds are probably no good or never really developed well.

o

I planted seeds in November 2012 and the plant is now about 24 inches tall and has its second bloom with more to come. Will have to agree with sultry seed probably not developed.

o

Wow,1Tex1,2 blooms from seed in only 5 months !!! Please share your secret for growing brugs. That must be some kind of record,please share !!!!

o

• Posted by 1Tex1 8 NE Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 10:22

No secret just started with heating pad inside once sprouted I put in a 4 in pot with a grow light and fertilized. Had another one did the same way but it is only a third of that size. In a 3 gal planter now was going to put in ground but am waiting on the blooms to cycle before I do so. Seed were give to me but since the flowers are not hanging think it is a Datura not Brug.

o

• Posted by 1Tex1 8 NE Texas (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 24, 13 at 18:27

Just posting picture of plant

o

Datura !!!!!

o

Yes I've grown Datura from seed and they've bloomed, I even have three Datura that wintered over just fine. It's the Brugmansia that I have trouble with from seed although I think one just finally sprouted, we'll see if I can keep it alive!

Z

o

Datura are much easier as they reseed if you don't get all the pods off. Brugs do not do this.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here