Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

Brugs and Plumeria grown the same?

keriann_lakegeneva
13 years ago

Generally speaking....

Are brugmansias and Plumerias grown the same way? cuttings, water, sun, winter storage (for those of us up here in the frozen tundra) ect?

Let me know and thanks in advance!

Keriann~

Comments (6)

• chena
    13 years ago

Hey Keri!
    Plummies are easy to start from cuttings! They are much different than Brug in that aspect.. They love full sun and very easy to grow.. I Winter mine over in the garage.. It gets down to 38*f and they are Happy! Did you get some cuttings??

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kylie!

No not yet.. :(

I am not sure if I can take on one more thing this Spring, but I am really trying to squeeze one in : ).

Do they grow as fast as Brugs? Should I get a rooted plant so I get blooms this year, or try a cutting? Or does it depend on variety.... what do you suggest if I want to see blooms this year.. IF I get one.

Thanks

Keri~

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Brugs and plumies are like apples and oranges. Plumerias are much more difficult to root and much slower growing, blooming is also very slow in comnparison. They are not nearly as cold tolerant as brugs. Another difference is that almost all plumies go through a period of dormancy, even in a warm climate. Each branch will get a single inflo at the tip after about a full year's growth but the inflo can continue blooming for quite a while. The stem with the info will branch after the inflo's spent and you wait another year, minimum, for an info to form on those stems. Kylie I'm surprised that your plumies don't suffer any damage with temps that cold. I can have damage when temps are below 45 while they are dormant. Keri you should be able to find quite a bit of info on the plumeria forum. Bill (tdogdad) is probably one of the most knowledgable people there. Dave in VA that posts here also grows a number of beautiful plumies. It can be done in your zone but since you have such a short growing season you will likely need to have it going inside with supplimental lighting for at least a few months a year in order to get blooms.

• rudy625
    13 years ago

Keri,I agree with Karyn 100%.I am in zone 5 Pennsylvania,and tried to grow plumies up here for 8 years,and found that it CAN be done,but to me,the season is too short,the wait for blooms is too long,and for me,anything under 40*in winter was an open invitation to rot or black tip.The flowers are great,but in the north,it is not worth the hassle,waiting 3 to 5 years for a blooming inflo is not worth it.I have 1 plumie left (out of 50 at one time) and it finally bloomed last summer after six (6)years from seed.In that time span,I have had brugs from seed bloom and set seed themselves several times over. In my opinion,(I know,everyone has one)in your zone,you are better off with brugs. As Karyn said,"apples and oranges"

• chena
    13 years ago

I panicked the other day becoz I forgot to bring in 2 that are about head high.. It got down to 33* and they were on the NW side of the house.. They had no damage..The temps only dipped maybe that is the difference and the leaves have been stripped.. OR just MAYBE they like TEXAS BETTER!! hehehehe!!! ;0)

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you all!

I think I will hold off on these guys for awhile until I have a larger greenhouse.

They are just so beautiful and I thought if they were similar to brugs, I would just add one to the garden. I will hop over to the other forum and do some more reading up on it this weekend.

Have a great weekend!

Thanks again!

Keriann~

Sponsored
Industry Leading Countertop company in Loudoun County, VA