Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kasha77

My little green house

kasha77
14 years ago

Hi gang-

Long time no see! I've been very busy seeding flats of Brugs & dats, tomatoes, etc. Now my question is- I've started all of them in the house- now I want to put them in my pop up greenhouse- (4x6)It's 95* in there with the door open- in full sun (but I do have a shade cloth) Should I dare put out these tender seedlings yet? We're supposed to have lows in the upper 30*s, low 40's at night.(a real heat wave!) I want to give them a head start- what do you think? & when can I start bringing out my rooted cuttings & potted plants from the basement? They are under lights & on a heating mat in a cool basement. Should I put them in the GH? PS- I will not be heating it at night.

Thanks everyone for any info- I'd especially love to hear from zone 7 b folks, to see what they are doing right now!

Thanks!

kasha77

ps-

Hubby is gone for 5 weeks, his huge tree stump sits waiting for him to chop it up!

{{gwi:467923}}

Comments (17)

• taz56
    14 years ago

Hi! Kathy, how are you, well spring is on its way zone8!
    Your greenhouse is very nice can't wait to see it full of
    plants! I'm gonna start some seeds this week, the weather
    has been so weired here, I have been waiting. I am so ready
    to did in the dirt lol!
    Hugs!
    Susan

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Susan!
    Yes, I think you are right- spring is on it's way! I may be jumping the gun a bit- I probably should wait another week or so til we have nighttime temps in the 40's. (I know that, I just don't want to accept it!) Maybe I'll start more seeds next week outside, then they won't be so tender to night's cold temps. Happy Gardening!
    hugs back at ya-
    Kasha77

• haase
    14 years ago

That's a cute little greenhouse. Wishing you lots of plants, and lots of success with it.

Ingrid

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy!

I have been looking at those small GH, I will be interested to learn how it works out for you! I had a small one with 4 shelves and a cover that I used outdoors for two years before the cover finally fell apart, it worked great for seedlings and tender plants right through February. The worst thing I had to deal with was gnats, but you have room for a fan in there! When it was really cold I just threw some blankets over it!

I have pretty much everything except my tropicals outdoors now. (In jars/trays/under plastic) Up against the foundation. they seem to be doing fine.

I look forward to hearing how thie little GH works out!

Have a great day

Frances

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Hi Kasha, Wow...I can't even hope for those steady temps without a frost threat until Mid April and that's only because I'm in a pocket zone and not a zone 5. With the weather so unpredictable the frost threats could end earlier or later...nooo way to know.

But I refuse to risk my brugs. I lost a couple last fall to a way too early frost.

Hope you can hall them inside if necessary, without hurting yourself.

Regarding that big stump. I'd take advantage of it and get some mushroom plugs and grow myself some gourmet mushrooms for cheap.

- Sandy

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi girls--
    Thanks Ingrid! It's a new experience every year, like Sandy says- you never can count on the weather. Francis-
    What plants do you have out now? I need specifics. When is the usual last frost in spring here, so I know when to plant out! I never get it right, & put my veggies out too late. (northern gal here) Sandy- I'm only putting out 2 small flats of Brug babies that I received from Brenda's seeds, and a few baby veggies, & I will watch the temps today to make sure they don't get too hot. I will bring them in tonight when things cool down. We're supposed to get 63* today- but it'll be pretty warm in that GH. Sandy- I've been dying to try mushroom spawn- does it matter that the huge oak log has only been cut down last fall? I'm not sure if it's ready yet. Also- it's in full sun now, & will be in bright daylight in the summer, as the light changes. Have you tried to grow spawn? It's been my dream for years! Let me know how you do it please! I do have a cool dark basement, that would be better suited for that I'm sure. Thanks girls!
    kasha77

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

I've looked into mushroom growing the past 2 winters but just haven't gotten around to actually doing it.

Your 'softwood' oak is ready to be drilled and plugged, minimum is suggested at 3 month old and too old of a log can't be used (bare of bark and no paper bark type of trees).

They say the best case is a maximum of 14" diameter logs but you should be fine. Alternately, you could cut them into thick huge plates and treat them like they are stumps. Instructions for this is at the link below. I'd just plug the log as it is and stand it up if possible.

The sunny spot may be an issue, seems to me you do need it darker or at least dappled light. It'd be easier just to haul it somewhere then it would be to cut it up for firewood. Pull out the old tobbagan, that's what I'd do...lol...sooooo much easier said then done.

You can find an assortment of mushrooms for logs called plugs or spawn.

eBay has some sellers there. The following link has a good deal if you want to buy 3 different kinds.

My mouth is watering for mushrooms now...geesh...not a one in the house.

You can also saw and chisel it into a seat or something...

- Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: A good place to check out

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

I've looked into mushroom growing the past 2 winters but just haven't gotten around to actually doing it.

Your 'softwood' oak is ready to be drilled and plugged, minimum is suggested at 3 month old and too old of a log can't be used (bare of bark and no paper bark type of trees).

They say the best case is a maximum of 14" diameter logs but you should be fine. Alternately, you could cut them into thick huge plates and treat them like they are stumps. Instructions for this is at the link below. I'd just plug the log as it is and stand it up if possible.

The sunny spot may be an issue, seems to me you do need it darker or at least dappled light. It'd be easier just to haul it somewhere then it would be to cut it up for firewood. Pull out the old tobbagan, that's what I'd do...lol...sooooo much easier said then done. Remember to never put plastic over mushroom logs, you'll get mold.

You can find an assortment of mushrooms for logs called plugs or spawn.

eBay has some sellers there. The following link has a good deal if you want to buy 3 different kinds.

My mouth is watering for mushrooms now...geesh...not a one in the house.

You can also saw and chisel it into a seat or something...

- Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: A good place to check out

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Don't put any tender seed flats, cuttings or potted plants in there 24/7 unless you are going to heat it at night. Once your nighttime temps are into the 50's you can get your tender plants in there without worrying. You can start some cool weather veggies like lettuce, broccolli, cabbage etc in there. Since it doesn't have a floor you could also start peas directly in the ground. Definitely run a fan during the day. If it's in a sunny area you'll have to get the shade cloth on by the end of the month. Is it secured well into the ground? If not you might want to find a way to anchor it. I had a 14 x 7 hoophouse covered in plastic like that end up in the pool! lol

I've never tried mushrooms in a log, just a box. The white button kind. They were delicious and produced for quite a while. I kept it in the garage. I'd love to try some of the more exotic varieties.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Sorry about that double post, I don't know what happened there.

Karyn - I can't even find those button mushrooms in those boxes up here for less than $30 plus S&H.

Growing them any other way than by log(s)is a long tedious series of process that require such meticulous cleanliness and observations that it has discouraged me from growing them. At least until I can get some logs and some room.

The logs are absolutely the easiest way. Lots of the mushrooms are pretty to, like lion's mane and coral and blue oyster, all edible. To bad we can't grow morel (needs burned forest debris - so I hear)

- Sandy

• knotz
    14 years ago

Looks great Kathy!!!...You will LOVE it!!!

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Hi Kathy, good to see you posting. Wishing you great success in what you end up putting in your GH.

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Kathy, you probably have weather like us, no frost for the next week~~ That looks like a very cozy arrangement in your greenhouse! Very nice, BTW!
    A heat lamp will keep it toasty on freezing nights, and we will have less and less of them from here on out!

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

Kathy

I have kept things outside from February, but would not recomend you put anything you cannot replace outside overnight till after the first week of April (we usually have some ugly weather in March) Overnight temperatures are still dipping down arounnd freezing for a short time just before dawn from time to time. Nothing like the prolonged cold of northern nights, but cold still. The little greenhouse and the plants will keep the temps above freezing inside for a short period of time. If you can cover it (the greenhouse) at night it will hold in more of the warm air. I had mine against the wall on the east side of the house, the morning sun would raise the temperature as soon as it hit.

I am a transplanted Northerner too. Used to prolonged spells of cold, here the temps rarely stay down in the freezing range for more than an hour or two at this time of year.

Other things that could help is using a black covering on the ground and even on the back wall (near the building) (I taped black plastic on the outside of the GH that was against the house) it will absorb the heat during the day. I am told that buckets of water will do the same thing, (I have never had the luxury of that much space)

I currently have (seedlings) tomatoes, impatiens, hardy annuals, perennials,(cuttings) rose, geranium and hydrangea. (rooted outoodr over the winter) I will be taking my tender annuals outside next weekend. And tropicals the week after that. But I will keep an eye on the weather forcast and blankets handy and cover everything any time temps are forcast to drop below 40F.

Have a wonderful day and good luck with your new GH!

Frances

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Ya'll-
    Sandy- thanks so much for the mushroom growing idea. that log is huge- 30 " in diameter- so I won't be hauling it anywhere soon! I'd like to try some spawn in my cool basement though.
    Karyn-
    Thanks for the specifics on when to bring out my tender plants- you always come through for me with valuable info!
    Knotz- This is actually my 3rd year with this little house- it's really great for starting up seeds, I really love it! Hubby's talking of getting me one made out of lexan.. He used to set them up. Anyone out there have any advice on cheapest way to heat one- say- a 12'x20?
    Eloise- Thank you darling, you're so sweet!
    Frances- thanks for the wealth of info on our weather- you never know what to expect here! Wish I had only started my tender annuals and some cool weather crops indoors sooner!
    Kasha77

• mantorvillain
    14 years ago

Hi Kasha. My small GH is similar to yours and I use a small 'milk house' electric heater in it for nights. It has a 'sort of' thermostat and has worked nicely. I had more of a problem with getting too warm than too cold and it's awfully tempting (30+ inches of snow gone over the past 2 weeks) but I'll leave it till the end of March to put up here in the northland.
    Will

• kasha77
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Will-
    Thanks so much for the advice- I was able to find a milk house heater for $20.00 on clearance at Tractor Supply. You are right- it keeps things at 70*, a tad warmer than I want for night time temps! My plants are used to 60* in my basement. They were on a heating mat set at 75*. because of the coolness, my 8 inch cuttings started blooming. I will post some of those photos tomorrow.
    Thanks!
    kasha77