Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mother Nature is a &%$#!

Posted by karyn1 7a (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 26, 11 at 15:59

I should have known better and not left brugs outside. It's well below freezing again and snow is predicted tonight. I left several of my larger brugs outside because I'm just so sick and tired of fighting mealy bugs. Of course all the foliage now looks like wet tissue and the tips are damaged. I'm not worried that they are dead or anything but it will take that much longer for them to bloom this season. On the bright side I'll bet the damn mealies are dead. What I am worried about are the super tender plants that I moved into the greenhouse. I hadn't reset the thermostat to 65 so temps were down to around 50 at night. I don't even want to go in there and see what might have happened to them. The past couple weeks with average to warm temps lulled me into a false sense of security and I should know better. We have such erratic weather in the Mid Atlantic. I just hope all my spring flowers and trees that are in bloom or near blooming aren't damaged. So far so good but if we get any amount of snow I think they'll be spent. It figures that the start of the cherry blossom festival is this Sunday. It's too cold to be walking around the tidal basin this weekend. Hopefully the buds will hold and it will warm up next week. DC is so beautiful in the spring.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mother Nature is a &%$#!

Yes, I just saw a video of the cherry blossoms. Wonderful! I hope nothing is too badly damaged for you Karyn.
kasha77

o

Oh crap Karyn, I hope you don't lose any of your plants! We had fantastic weather here too, and then it started raining and getting cold again.

o

Sorry to hear Karen. Hope it did a number on the bugs.
On March 20th all our snow was gone and on Tues. 3-22-11 we got 8" of heavy wet snow. ICK, enough already.
April 1st is suppose to be in the 50's during the day. Our average for April 1st is 60. Bring it on.
Jerry

o

• Posted by chena z8 Texas (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 27, 11 at 11:40

Sorry to hear that.. I sure hope everything will be alright!

I had to haul everything back in yesterday.. They were calling for temps in the mid 30's.. I guess I should be happy I hadn't put them in the ground yet!!

Kylie

o

We only got a dusting of snow and it was gone as soon as the sun came up but it's still cold. The only damage I can see is the brugs that I left outside. I did take a look in the greenhouse and everything is fine. Once I move plants outside that's it, I'm not schlepping them back in. I really should take a ride to the farm and check the seed trays that I started in the big GH. Hopefully Rolando has been taking care of them.

I just want consistent average temps already. I'd be happy with that for now. It's the up and down extremes that are a PITA.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here