Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
siam_cannas

Looking for species aristolochia in Trinidad- pics!

siam_cannas
14 years ago

Hi all, i was out today along the north coast road again, searching for a species aristolochia i heard grows there. I found it. Here are some pics of my day.

Justicia grows wild along that road and hummingbirds are everywhere.

{{gwi:456848}}

{{gwi:468234}}

{{gwi:468237}}

{{gwi:468239}}

{{gwi:468242}}

{{gwi:468244}}

{{gwi:468246}}

OMG i also found a type of oxalis growing wild on the side of the road!!

{{gwi:468248}}

{{gwi:468252}}

Species aristolochia.. i found it!!! i dont find it attractive though, the flower is sooo small :(

{{gwi:456880}}

{{gwi:456882}}

{{gwi:456884}}

Siam.

Comments (8)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That looks like some variety of a tussock moth caterpillar. That oxalis is so pretty. Does it grow from a tuber like the others? That aristolochia might have an insignificant bloom but I bet it's a good host plant. Do you know the variety? If not can you get a close up pic of a bloom? I'd love to get some seeds from you later in the season. BTW I found some A. fimbriata seed but it's 2 years old. I have no idea if it's viable or not but give it a try. If they don't germinate I'll have more this summer after my plants bloom.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hey karyn, Yes the oxalis is really nice, and it was just there growing on the side of the road, literally! It does grow from a tuber like the others, i colleted one cluster of tubers, could send you some if you like :)
    I collected one vine of the aristolochia, it does have any bloms on it now, plus im not sure if it will survive, its wilted alot! If it doesnt live i will have to go back to the north coast road and get another plant or seeds. When i was there i didnt find any seeds on the vines. There were many vines but not in bloom. I only came across one vine in bloom, that how i knew i had found an aristolochia!! Hopefully i will get this vine to grow and then i'll have seeds.
    I will try the A. fimbriata seeds, maybe i might be lucky :)
    Siam.

• csxiongacs
    13 years ago

hey, happened to notice this thread while searching for threads on Aristolochia. If it is possible, could you provide a clearer photo of the Aristolochia flower? I would be interested in knowing what species is it. The flower, though small, looks rather interesting from the pictures that you have posted.

Thanks.

• siam_cannas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Hi, i dont currently have any more pics of the flower right now. I did collect plants and they are doing well, when they flower i will take new pics.
    Siam

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

What a wonderful abundance of flowering plants there. Great hummingbird plants with those red tubular flowers.

From the various things I've read on aristolochia since finding the Swan Flower it seems that they are not really sought for their blooms but for the cat hosting.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I protect my aristolochias from the pipevine swallowtails. I'm one of those that collects them for the blooms and A. fimbriata for the foliage as well. I would like to get some A. serpentaria and A. tomentosa for the cats. I think aristolochia blooms are so unusual looking.

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

Siam, so great that you can go out and find such beautiful plants. I just went out to check on a couple of small aristolochias I have (thx Randy), and found the names missing. I believe one is a. gigantea and the other a. trilobata. I'll have to google and see if the leaves are the same as what I have. Always loved my a. fimbriata, but the squirrels/raccoons uprooted my hanging vine and I didn't find it until too late.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

That swan flower certainly caught my attention when I saw it. I check from time to time to see if they are hosting cats and I really don't know if I want to see them there or not. So far nothing.

My passie seems to be getting new leaves since something ate all of them. So glad it didn't kill the only one left.

Sponsored
Virginia Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars151 Reviews
Virginia's Award Winning One Stop Kitchen & Bath Remodeling Resource