Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rock_oak_deer

Question on cutting

rock_oak_deer
14 years ago

Last fall when I brought the brugs in I stuck several cuttings in potting soil and most of them grew.

On this one, it looks like the original top of the cutting died and the new green sprout is coming out at soil level.

{{gwi:469494}}

I think if I just leave the sprout and cut the dead part back, the new brug might be stunted if it grows out of the old root. Would it be better to cut it off entirely and root it on its own or not?

Thanks so much. Getting ready for spring and I'm still somewhat of a newbie here.

Comments (7)

• sekhment
    14 years ago

I have a few doing the same thing. I'm still rather new at all this but I am leaving mine alone it is very hard for me to start a green cutting. I think it would be super had to start one with just the green tip, so I watch and see aproch works for me lol. Mine have been doing that all winter I have a shreded white that has done that and the whole cutting is dead and it have just one lively green shoot comeing from the base it seem to be fine, like that is has been like that for a long wile now
    good luck
    Cassie

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

When that happens to me, I just leave what sprouted alone. I am just so darn happy when I see growth from a cutting that appears to be dead!

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I'd leave everything be for now. Once it's outside cut off the dead stem. If you get multiple sprouts from the base you might want to cut all but 1 or 2 and start new plants from them but I'd wait until they are about 12-18" tall and 1/2" in diameter before separating them from the original plant.

• rock_oak_deer
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thanks Karyn and everyone! No freezes predicted for the near future so they're all going outside today. Will fertilize and wait until they are taking off on their own. For whatever reason almost every brug cutting I take roots.

• marcie_new
    14 years ago

What kind of fertilizer? numbers, half strenght? how often? I have some cuttings that made it thru the winter- couple of freezing nights-they were covered in a different spot that I had forgotten about and they survived all on their own. Tomorrow I will post pics of what they look like, to me they look GREAT of course Iam bias!!

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

I'm personally under the beleif that if your brug is in that shape, usually because our homes are not our outdoor environment - just to dry, that what killed or is giving your brug a hard time growing indoors is doing the same thing again.

So to be sure they aren't going to stay stunted and slow the rest of the plants growth when it's outside, I seriously suggest you let at least one or some new branches grow that have formed while outside or at least not too long before. You'll know by growth rate if the prior indoor branches are stunted.

If there are branches that are too slow growing compared to the newly growing ones or maybe just to minimize how many main branches you have or to make a standard (one main branch), remove and root. I've no guarantee of any kind that a truly stunted branch can grow normally.

Springs a comin' - Sandy

• Frances Coffill
    14 years ago

rock oak deer

that is exactly how my brugs grow in the garden. The top dies back and new growth emerges from the root. I do not think you have anything to worry about. I have not been growing Brugs long (this will be my third season, but I have seldom encountered a plant in 30 years of gardening that "WANTS to GROW" as much as Brugs do!

I agree with Karen just let it be, brugmansia is a very resiliant plant, at the moment it is doing what it needs to do, growing leaves to feed itself! If it needs pruning will be plenty of time for that later in the season!

Happy gardening!

Frances