Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OMG a deer in the greenhouse!!!!!!!

karyn1
14 years ago

I can't believe it but a deer decided to visit my greenhouse and what a mess they made. Besides snacking it knocked over everything. At least the shelves didn't fall. Besides the pool fence part of the yard fence was also damaged when the trees came down so the deer have a way in. I just didn't think they'd go in the greenhouse especially because they have to walk right up to my house to get to it. It looks like passiflora vines were the main course this afternoon. I just hope they don't come back and I'm glad they didn't damage the greenhouse. There's no way I can keep them out of the yard until we get the fence fixed. It's always something! LOL

Comments (19)

• figara
    14 years ago

Oh Karyn, hope the deer did not do too much damage to your plants.
    Pat

• knotz
    14 years ago

Oh man...That sucks Karyn!!...Hope they don't bother you again!!

• hong2007
    14 years ago

Oh Deer!!!Sorry about your plants, but that is so cool a bambi in your green house. We have to pay money out here to see deer lol.

• jillybean1977
    14 years ago

We've seen deer but never actually had one come into the yard. But we did have a crane come into our backyard yesterday. It was such a shock. I've never seen one before in our area which is hot and dry. He was so large and beautiful. Glad the deer don't come into our yard because I've always heard how destructive they are.

Jill

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Landscaping is just a deer buffet around here. There's so many of them. They are pretty but are a serious problem in this area, especially on the roads.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Karyn, I hope you are able to get the fencing up quickly before Bambi invites it's relatives! Doesn't your GH have a door?

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Geesh Karyn - What luck is this? Now a deer?
    In the city, we so envy those who get to have deer around, but it's no great thing to have them eat your landscaping.
    I suppose then they're more of a pestilence. Such lovely creatures though. So sorry to hear you have such a bad run of luck. But spring is here! :)

- Sandy

• haase
    14 years ago

Here's the deer, and spring is here. Soon they will have other spots where they can eat. You sure had your share of mishaps. But trust me, it's over now. Because I said so.
    Good luck.
    Ingrid

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Eloise the greenhouse door and vents have been open because it's warm out. Even with the fans going it's too hot without the door and vents open.

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

It's good that the greenhouse wasn't damaged! Must have looked like a smorgasbord to the deer though! I hope your passionflower survive the trim.

Pam

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Well those deer must have been keeping an eye out for when the door was left opened! Seriously, I hope you didn't discover more damage to your plants.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm kind of surprised that they got in to begin with. It has a sliding door which is certainly big enough but they had to round a corner and follow a narrow path to get to it. It was more that stuff was knocked down then eaten. It's a good thing that they didn't spook while in there or I'm sure it would have been destroyed.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Karyn - I'm sure everybody can imagine a spooked/trapped deer in a small greenhouse. Pulverized! So, you did get a bit of luck there, for sure.

- Sandy

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Karyn it's good the deer didn't do a lot of damage, they can mow down a flower bed in minutes. I'm surprised it went after the passiflora because the native passiflora incarnata here grow right where the deer live and they never seem to touch it. I was planning to plant a couple of other types out in the garden this year so may have to rethink that.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I'm not so sure that it ate the passie. It might have just ripped the vines because it was in a big pot on the floor near the entrance. It needed to be trimmed back anyway. The deer eat everything here. They've even nibbled castor, morning glories and brugs. I have a bunch of substance abuse deer in my neighborhood.

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Oh, of course that's what they did. They do that here with a lot of things they don't eat. Rip the stems off the pomegranate and then drop them on the ground, damaged just the same and no benefit to them. At least your plants are mostly okay.

We had one of those substance abuse deer a while back--it was running in circles in panic mode for quite a while.

• gloriosa321
    14 years ago

That's just sad to have your garden devastated by a deer. one idea i have is to plant more allium and Fritillaria imperialis in your garden.

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

IN your greenhouse? Did it open the door? Break the glass? That's incredible, like a deer getting into your home. I just had deer eating the seed out of my birdfeeders.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I have Crown Imperials surrounding my Fuju persimmon and they still eat my tree. I have yet to harvest any fruit : (

I had the doors open because it was warm here and the deer just wandered in. Opening the doors is esentially opening one side of the GH. It's a sliding door, not a hinged one so it's a big opening. Not only did it navigate around a corner, my GH is on an elevated wood deck. It's not even on the ground!!!!!