Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
phoenixryan

Garden Photos

phoenixryan
15 years ago

Thought I'd post some photos of plants in bloom in my garden. I took these when I got home from work today.

The rose garden. Lots of roses in bud, ready to burst forth

{{gwi:400699}}

'Arizona' rose

{{gwi:470548}}

'Joseph's Coat'

{{gwi:470550}}

Prickly Pear, all budded out. Barb, if you want some of this let me know.

{{gwi:470551}}

Desert Marigold

{{gwi:470553}}

Mexican Primrose

{{gwi:470555}}

Jasmine

{{gwi:470557}}

Potato Vine

{{gwi:470559}}

Gerbera

{{gwi:470561}}

Cyclamen I'm surprised this came back from last year's plant.

{{gwi:470563}}

Begonia Still looking a bit rough after the winter, but honestly, they never stop blooming all year round...

{{gwi:470564}}

Sage

{{gwi:470566}}

Vinca

{{gwi:470567}}

Fishies are waking up and HUNGRY!!!

{{gwi:470568}}{{gwi:470569}}

Lemons (almost ready to be picked!)

Nectarine Tree

Hope you enjoyed!!

Comments (25)

• maemae0312
    15 years ago

oh very nice, things here are still brown. The snow killed my saucer magnolia blooms, but my forsythia came out strong, I am dying for more color!!!

Mary

• knotz
    15 years ago

Great pics Ryan...Thanks for sharing some of your "sunshine" :)

May I have a lemon please??...lol

knotz

• phoenixryan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Knotz, if you want to pay postage, you can have plenty of lemons! :-)

I forgot one photo.

'Hot Cocoa' rose
    {{gwi:470572}}

• cindeea
    15 years ago

Beautiful, Ryan. Your rose garden is smashing, I love the petunia 'skirt', very cheerful!

• bri_fl
    15 years ago

So pretty Ryan, I touched one of those prickly pears once and OUCH, those little spines are annoying/hurt. I swear it took 3 days for all of them to get out. I've never had much luck with roses, they don't like my sand : )

• phoenixryan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've learned to handle PP with bbq tongs. ;-) much safer! Some varieties of PP (like mine) have masses of thorns that are made up of clusters of ultra-fine hairs. You could spend a month pulling them out with tweezers. But they are awfully pretty when they bloom! I'll post photos of the open blooms in a few weeks.

Thanks, Cindeea. I love petunias, such easy winter color for me.

• givelittle_getlots
    15 years ago

Ryan what a great tip on how to handle PP's. Thanks

Now I like to say I am jeleous. But I do not know how to spell it roflmao so I say GREAT PHOTOS and you are so lucky!

Thanks for taking the time after work to give us your beautiful plants.

Lucy

• pagrdnr
    15 years ago

Your garden is beautiful Ryan. I really like the Josephs Coat Rose. Everything looks nice, I am bad at arranging plants and always admire the gardeners who are good at that.
    Shawn

• taz56
    15 years ago

Very nice Ryan! :)
    Susan

• siam_cannas
    15 years ago

Ryan, your garden is very beautiful. I cant believe you a just coming into spring! everything looks really nice. I have 2 orange trees and they dont have any oranges on them right now lol! That desert Marigold looks really nice. Cant wait to see more pics :)

Siam

• rosepedal
    15 years ago

Wonderful pictures Ryan.I cant believe you have so many flowers this early..Snow snow go away...LOL :)

• dimples31312
    15 years ago

Great Pictures! Love the roses, I had trouble with black spot last year. :(
    Everything looks great.
    Dorothy

• technodweeb
    15 years ago

Ryan, THAT's YOUR garden?

Man that one pic looks like a botanical garden.

Very pretty!

Couldn't grow a rose to if I wanted to. I've tried so many times. Every single malady that could afflict those plants DOES when I grow them.

Right down to a leaf cutter bee.

I gave up. The brugs take the place of a rose for me now!

Very pretty!

• plantlover49
    15 years ago

Ryan
    what a pretty flower garden, I bet your lemon smelled so
    good mine hasn't done very well in my basement, I hope
    it snaps out of it once it gets outside, but right now
    I can enjoy yours thank you for posting them
    Elizabeth

• daniellalell
    15 years ago

Nice Ryan, thank you for sharing! All thats here is brown and covered in snow..bleck! Prickly pears bring back baaad memories for me, lol. When I was younger and we went to the shore house every year, there were prickly pears lining the driveway on one side..late August they would shed some pricklies, and they would just fly in the breeze and stick in you..OMG it was terrible! Its damn near impossible to get those miniscule invisible things out. They alwaya got me.
    But I like everything else you have lol. Looks great!

• chazparas
    15 years ago

Wow Ryan, just beautiful! I'd give almost anything to be able to garden year round again. As much as I love my sun room, and it keeps me from going completely nutz over the winter it is still nothing like being outdoors.
    Thanks for the glimpse of springtime buddy.
    chaz

• lopaka_mikale
    15 years ago

Ryan... everything looks great. I look forward to seeing the PP in bloom. I was just in Tucson, and it was too early to see the cactus blooms. I've been there in the spring, and its an incredible sight. I've tried roses a couple of times. I don't bother anymore. They just look nasty. Maybe they just need more work then I am able/willing to give.

Bob

• phoenixryan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you all for the wonderful compliments. I'm trying to enjoy it while it lasts. Won't be too long before the heat sets in and I get to stare at all brown like most of you have been doing all winter! LOL

This climate actually works very well for roses, being so dry, I don't get nearly the fungal problems. I get the leaf cutter bees all spring long as well, but I tolerate them, since they are such vital pollinators, and their damage is only cosmetic.

The prickly pear can be a real mess to deal with. I use the bbq tongs each summer to snap off pads and keep the plant very small and compact.

The desert marigold is a cutie for sure. I love how it pretty much blooms all year round, and reseeds itself everywhere across the front yard.

• chena
    15 years ago

BEAUTIFUL!!!!!
    I am with Dweeb..LOL I can kill a Rose...You are doing an awsome job.. Thanks so much for the tour!
    Kylie

• tommysmommy
    15 years ago

Ryan, that's some yard to come home to! When do you have time to garden and keep up so many wonderful kinds of plants? I forgot about your brown season, we're kind of opposite aren't we. Things are waking up here, much too early because of the weird weather patterns. When did you start your interest in growing things?

• phoenixryan
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I've been growing things since I was knee high to a grasshopper. When I was little, my parents gave me a little 5x5 garden to do whatever I wanted with underneath the mail box. It has just grown from there!

My love of growing edibles came from a brief year of unemployment a few years back. I ate a lot of oatmeal that year. And the biggest thing I missed was fresh fruit. So I've been on an edibles planting binge ever since. LOL Its kinda funny the life lessons that stick with us through the years...

• pearlgirl
    15 years ago

Very nice inspiration, Ryan...I like the desert Marigold.
    Margaret

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    15 years ago

I love your roses. Roses really grow great in AZ, so much better than here, where they all get black spot and I have to fight with them all the time lol.
    The Hot Cocoa rose is really beautiful and your fishies so cute!

~Lenette

• eloise_ca
    15 years ago

Everything looks great Ryan, but you can keep the cactus and the Arizona heat, LOL! I am originally from Mesa. Love Joseph's Coat!

• honeybunny2 Fox
    15 years ago

Ryan, great pictures, I love the petunias around the roses. I am excited, about spring. We are going to the coast this afternoon. I hope my yard looks as good as yours, when we get down. Barbra,