Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
luvbrugs

my brugs died! please...

luvbrugs
13 years ago

Last year i got some nice cuttings from this forum (thanks so much) i put them in the shed where we have electricity for the winter, but Tx had some bad blackouts due to bad bad snow storms, and it killed everything in there, my Hibiscus, my angel trumpets, my passion vines, and my NEW rose plants ( i just bought them last year and kept them in pots) PLEASE if you have any cuttings of any of those plants, please let me know, I am willing to pay for them. Pretty, pretty please,

thanks so much guys

Comments (32)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

If your brugs were in pots there's a good chance that they'll come back from the roots. As soon as it begins warming up take them out of the shed and put them in the warmest place in your yard. If you have an asphalt driveway that gets full sun that's perfect because the dark asphalt retains heat and will help warm the soil. If you had passiflora caerulea, inacrnata or incense they might come back. There's really no reason not to plant all your brugs in the garden and leave them year round in zone 8. The passifloras I mentioned will also do just fine in the garden year round. Good luck. I hope some of your plants come back.

• chena
    13 years ago

A lot of mine are just sticks . I am starting to see some new growth coming from the roots.Karyn is right get them out and get them warmed and watered..

Kylie

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks girls, they are out and watered. Do you think the hibiscus will make it?

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I don't know about the hibiscus. If it's a tropical variety and it was subjected to below freezing temps for any length of time it's probably gone. If it was only in the cold temps for short periods it might be ok. I have a couple tropical hibiscus that got down near freezing a few nights that are coming back. The foliage dropped and the tips of the branches died back but I trimmed them and new growth is just now showing. You can also scratch the bark and see if it's alive underneath.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kylie, I noticed that when I cut back my brugmansia plants this week, that some of the sticks were solid and some were hollow into the ground. Does this mean that the hollow ones are goners? I had them covered with 4 inches of mulch and then had a sheet on top. I really took extra care, but only 4 are solid, the others are all hollow. I wanted to put them in pots this week, but now I need to see what will come back. To top it off, I lost my pigmy palms and foxtail palms I planted in 2003. This was the worse freeze we have had. Barbra

• chena
    13 years ago

No Barbara! I have gotten 6"~8" growth on some that had died back to the ground. I didn't really hold out much hope due to this crazy Winter but they are looking good..You should be fine..If these are at the Coast and with that much mulch.. Just give them a little bit I bet you will be surprised! I still have my fingers crossed on a few but you should be fine! The Hib's I have no idea about mine are goners..LOL

Kylie

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Hollow stems don't necessarily mean that the plant is dead, just that particular stem. If you are planning on digging them up anyway you will be able to tell if it's still alive by looking at the roots and the base of the plant that's just below the soil. If there's any live tissue at the base and there's plump white roots it should come back but may take quite a while. I've had brugs that didn't start sending up new growth until late June. If it's not a favorite it might not be worth the wait but if it's one that you like I'd give it a chance. Sorry about your palms. It seems like it's always something with extreme weather, especially the past five years.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

Barbra - Mine were hollow right down to the ground with 6" mulch. Just below the ground the stems are solid and green and this morning I found the tiniest little sprouts just below ground level. Definitely good news! I planted them outside last summer because my neighbor's were doing so well outside. Last week I noticed theirs appeared suddenly 6' tall and full of leaves! Duh, they obviously bring them in during the cold.

I can bring you cuttings of the ones I kept going if you want a head start on blooming. Just let me know.

luvbrugs - What part of Texas?

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I am in Garland, north of dallas. Mine look really dead, but i will wait, and see... thanks for the advice girls.

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

I was hoping you were closer to San Antonio and could join us at our swap.

The best time for cuttings is in the fall so that doesn't help you much for summer blooms. Even the brugs I wintered over are still too green to send out cuttings reliably. Please do check back in a few weeks.

• chena
    13 years ago

You should be fine!!! ;0) I wish you were closer to me as well.. I am in Millsap..

Kylie

• PKponder TX Z7B
    13 years ago

Mine are coming back from roots too. I bet they'll be fine! I may have a couple of rooted cuttings from single pink NOIDs if you are interested. I just planted them in the garden after rooting the branches inside all winter, but I would be willing to dig them up.

Pam

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

I went down this weekend, dug up the roots and they are definitely dead. Here we go again. Does anyone have cuttings for postage? I know its late, but maybe someone has some around. I lost Adeline, georgia peach, and daydreams this year, Last year I lost Sam, New Orleans Lady, and creamsicle. These are the ones that I would be interested in replacing. I would be willing to trade a Siam ruby banana pup, for these, believe it or not, I did not loose the banana. Thanks, Barbra

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

honneybunny, No i dont have any cuttings, actuallly I posted here cuz i lost 12 of my plants. I only got 4 that made it through the winter, I hope i can keep those alive for years to come.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

luvbrugs, I did not mean to highjack your post, I just posted here, since Karyn, said to dig them up and check. Its almost funny, how the ones I protected the best, were the ones I lost in the freeze. I hope most of yours come back, since you had them inside. Now I know what I need to do. Thank goodness my birthday is only 10 days away. My husband left the checkbook. If any of the plants I buy send out bottom branches, I will let them grow out, before cutting them off, and mail them to you, if you are willing to pay postage. Barbra

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Barbra is the ground unusually moist in the winter where your brugs have been planted? That's the only reason I can think of as to why they don't survive the winters in your zone.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, the ones I lost were closest to the sprinkler system head, and the system did go off during the freeze. The sheets I had the brugmansia covered with were frozen, do you think that is why they froze? Barbra

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

dont worry about highjacking the post, hehehe, that is funny!, I am just trying to learn, and i honestly feel bad about killing cuttings that people here gave me with affection, i wish i had been a better "mom" to them, we will see.

• karyn1
    13 years ago

Barbra the only think I can think is that the soil was unusually moist. Cold or even cool wet soil can easily cause root rot. Cold dry soil is fine. It's pretty much the same reasoning as witholding water from dormant container brugs. Other then that I have no idea why your brugs are dying. They should be fine in your zone. I hope you have better luck this season.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Karyn, it was really moist, because I watered it before the freeze, and then the sprinkler system when off every other day, and it froze for 3 soild days. The brugmansia plants that survived were all in the same flowerbed, that was the furtherest from the house. But, good news! The plants I lost, except for Sam and Georgia Peach, are being mailed out Monday. If anyone needs any replacement plants, be sure and buy them from Mark, he is the best. Barbra

• chena
    13 years ago

Good for you!! Sam is not that easy to come by!! Isn't Mark Trigger something!! He does send Great Plants!!!

Kylie

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

My one outside brug is putting out sprouts from the base, but it's going to be a long time before it blooms.

We did have a few days of cold rain before the three day freeze complete with a very rare snow set in. Most of my plants are coming back slowly but this year was even harder on them than the deep lows we had last year.

Barbra, so glad you were able to replace the ones you lost.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Shirley, I am actually replacing two I lost last year in the freeze and two I lost this year in the freeze. Hopefully next year Eddie will start selling cuttings again.

Kylie, Marks user name I think was trigger. Do you remember when he posted the picture with his little boy sitting on motorcycles with the hugh brugmansia in the background. I will never forget, it was too cute. Barbra

• rudy625
    13 years ago

Trigger has a couple nice brugs on e-bay now,the NOL looks like it's calling my name,but I have to try to hold back. He sends some really nice plants.
    Dan

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

mark? how do i get a hold of him please?

• rudy625
    13 years ago

Mark is triggerm5215 on e-bay

• rock_oak_deer
    13 years ago

luvbrugs - Send me an email, just click on my username. You didn't have an email posted. I'm going to Plano the end of May. I'll certainly have some nice cuttings to share by then if you still need brugs.

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Luvbrugs, send me an email and I will send you Marks email address. I just got back from the coast, and just saw that you were looking for him. He is a wonderful guy, and sends nice plants. Barbra.

• chena
    13 years ago

I found it just this Morning! I Think this right!!
    MARK Bailey medwardbaily@yahoo.com
    He has some very nice Brugs up for auction at ebay right now!! He send Great Stuff!

Kylie

• honeybunny2 Fox
    13 years ago

Kylie, I was not sure I could post Mark's email address on the forum. I have a diffrent email than yours. I sent mine to medwardbaile@yahoo.com. He's the Best! Barbra

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

thanks guys, you are the best!

• luvbrugs
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I cant get a hold of Mark, please let me know of any source to buy some brugs, mine are definitely GONE! :(