Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mark4321_gw

Brugmansia sanguinea photos and ID question

mark4321_gw
12 years ago

A couple months ago I picked up a 1 gallon Brugmansia sanguinea at Hortica Nursery in San Francisco (in bud, $9 I think).

The first flower opened a few weeks ago, with another opening in a couple days, and a third in a couple more weeks.

The tag reads "Brugmansia sanguinea 'Pasachoa'" and indicates that the plant comes from Suncrest Nurseries (wholesaler).

Here is the first flower:

{{gwi:470913}}

{{gwi:470915}}

However, I recently found this tag stuck in the pot...

{{gwi:470917}}

A search of the Suncrest site does indeed suggest that they have both varieties (or what they call both varieties):

"sanguinea âÂÂInca QueenâÂÂ. This is a larger, treelike selection, growing as much as 15' tall. It has distinctly scalloped leaves, bright green above and greyish green beneath, and orange-red blossoms with yellow centers. âÂÂPasachoaâ is similar but has slightly redder flowers. These plants bloom well with less heat than most brugmansias and will endure winter lows of around 20oF."

http://www.suncrestnurseries.com/descript/brugmansia.html

Does anyone have any idea which it might be? Or neither? Clearly it is B. sanguinea... I would emphasize that any confusion has nothing to do with the SF nursery--they were sold a plant labeled B. sanguinea 'Pasachoa'.

On a sort of completely different note, this plant was in bloom at Annie's Annuals in Richmond a few weeks ago:

{{gwi:470918}}

{{gwi:470920}}

I assume it's B. sanguinea 'Inca Princess' (I guess I could have checked the tag...). This could potentially be their old stock plant or possibly a newer plant of that variety from someone local (not sure if I should give names, but possibly someone who does/did post on this forum).

I've moved a couple times since I grew (but did not bloom) 'Inca Princess' and I do not grow the plant at the moment.

Comments (4)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES