Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xeriscape8321

OT: What has happened to our Honey Bees?

xeriscape8321
13 years ago

Here is a fascinating video about the disappearance of our honey bee. Personally years ago they were the ones I was protecting my pollinated blooms against contamination from...i just don't see them anymore...i protect my blooms against the night time moths now.....It's obvious that something is terribly wrong..

When you click on the link you must click the "x" to close the advertisers window before you click the center arrow (>) to start the video. This is a full length documentary movie but it is worth the watch

http://www.filmikz.net/watch.php?q=aHR0cDovL3d3dy5ub3ZhbW92LmNvbS92aWRlby9xZXM1dW04djl1ODcx

Comments (8)

• princealbert
    13 years ago

xeriscape,
    Is there another place to watch this? It is slow running with a lot of reloads. maybe it's just my computer programs
    it has taken me 20 minutes to watch 14 minutes of it. 13 seconds of download to 5-8 seconds of viewing.
    pa

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

If there is a problem with slow load just get it started, the hit the pause button and walk away, Come back to it 10 minutes later and you should have buffered a sufficient amount of the film to watch it without a hitch...This is the only place I could find it online....i think it streams from a slow distributor like china. They tend to stream slowly

• princealbert
    13 years ago

thanks I'll try that
    pa

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Last year I planted borage, sunflowers, and cosmos and there were more bees than I've seen in awhile in my yard. Next year I am planning on installing a hive and some Italian bees on our property. This year I am doing my research and going to try and hookup with a local beekeeper in my area and help them with thier hives so I can learn. They are pretty neat.

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Here is another link that i set up....you'll get a screen that will make you wait 10 seconds....then click on free user (left column)...this should play at normal speed without hesitations

Here is a link that might be useful: The Vanishing Bees

• rmbill
    13 years ago

I got two hives last spring to hopfully pollinate the fruit trees that I planted, but they came too late for last year. I didn't take any honey from them so they would be sure to have enough to make it thru the winter. We had a sunny day yesterday and they were buzzing around the entrance to the hive. I think they will be good from here on out. I am hoping to get some honey this year. They are pretty neat, but don't go near them when it is going to rain because it's rough. They got me about eight times one cloudy day. A lesson well learned. I guess I should have worn a bee suit that day. They were so calm that I got complacent. It didn't really hurt but it itched for a week. I live in the city and they don't bother anybody. GET BEES.
    Bill

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's amazing how dependent we are on these little critters...they are a major part of our food chain...it scares me to think that they are in danger

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

I just got done watching the whole video. That was the most extensive show I've seen on CCD. It is heartbreaking to see what's happening to the bees. This just further reinforces that we need to go organic or at least more organic and to be self sustainable as possible. I am not totally organic but it is something that I am working on.
    Thanks so much for posting the link. DH and I really enjoyed watching it.

rmbill it is great to hear that you have bees. I don't expect to get honey my first year either, after reading on some bee forums about them being able to survive the first winter. I am hoping to start some bees next spring and trying to decide what kind of hive to buy or perhaps build. I really want to have an orchard and grow things that the bees will like and then eventually get honey. I have been using a tsp full of local honey that I bought at our local farmer's market, in my tea each morning for my pollen allergies and it has done wonders.

Sponsored
Hoppy Design & Build
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Northern VA Award-Winning Deck ,Patio, & Landscape Design Build Firm