Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
keriann_lakegeneva

***rooting cuttings experiment*** : ))

keriann_lakegeneva
13 years ago

Okay, I love experiments so I decided to start one on rooting cuttings.

I have found all sorts of methods on the web and I have had so-so luck with plain water. They seem to be so much effort for what I think could be a relatively simple task. So here goes the experiment�.

They are all under shop lights, 16 hours a day, in 65-75* temps in plastic 16oz cups (in hindsight I wish I used a clear cup so I could see the progress, but too late now!) and they will all be kept moist, not wet.

1. Pink NOID in 1" soil (bottom layer), 3" perlite with no holes (no holes = no drainage holes)

2. Pink NOID in a mix of 70% vermiculite and 30% well draining soil with holes.

3. Pink NOID in 1" soil (bottom layer) 3" perlite with holes and a humidity dome.

4. Pink NOID in 3" of vermiculite topped with 1" of sphagnum moss with holes

5. Santa Rosa with sphagnum moss rolled in clear plastic, sealed off with tape

6. Santa Rosa with denser sphagnum moss and a humidity dome.

7. Mon Amour de Mareuil in 3" of vermiculite

I picked these brugs because they have rooted with about the same success. I would have done them all the same, but I didn�t have enough of one kind.

Which one do you think will root the fastest? And which one do you think will take a transplant the easiest?

I will update you when I have progress to share

YEAH! EXPERIMENTS!!

Keriann~

Comments (24)

• peanut01
    13 years ago

Yaay for experiments!!!! Thank you so much for sharing!!!!

Can't wait to see the results.

-David

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

You are welcome

I will try to find time this weekend to take pictures.

I am excited to see the results!

Keriann~

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Hi Kerriann!
    Good for you- you little botanist! I love experiments too, isn't that the best way to learn? I also have 2 cuttings of Mon Amour Du Mareiul in perlite and they are slowly rooting. My Santa Rosa cuttings are vigorous growers and have rooted fairly quickly. Just a note of caution in rooting brugs- they rot easily if they aren't allowed to dry out for a little bit between waterings. They love a fast draining medium. Good luck!
    kasha77

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kathy!

It is hard to tell any progress becauase of the cups but I will dry out the medium between waterings.

How wet do you keep your perlite?

Thanks

Keriann~

• kasha77
    13 years ago

I use a layer of sphagnum moss on top of the perlite. When that dries out and the cup feels lighter, I water til it runs out the bottom hole. I know it's not an exact science, but that's how I tell.
    Best wishes!
    kasha77

• rmbill
    13 years ago

I think Kathys " not exact science " is exactly right on. I wait until the pots get to feeling light to water them. With different medias you get different amounts of drying. The weight will always tell you when to water. Check weight with one hand and water with the other hand.
    Bill

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Oh my gosh.. I have an AWESOME update. Experiments 1, 3, 5, and 7 all have 1-3" long roots!!! about 6 roots on each of them! This is so much faster and easier then starting them in water! The other ones are not rotting but are not even showing signs or nubbies, I will give them another week and then switch them over to perlite with a bit of moss or 1" of soil in the bottom. I was so excited to see the progress!!!

I have been watering when the perlite does not stick to my fingers and it feels light. I will say that the cuttings did not like to domes, I noticed some mold on one starting to form that I brushed away... even the green cuttings werent happy in the dome which is suprising.

well.. I will update again with progress!
    Thank you Bill and Kathy for the tips!

Keriann~

• chena
    13 years ago

CONGRATS!!! That's Great Keriann!! Have you taken any pic's?

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks Kylie!

I will try tonight to take some pictures.

So very excited !! : 0

Keriann~

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay.. I will try posting some pictures....

all the ones in the red cups are my experiment

{{gwi:229331}}

Here is how I kept them all straight

{{gwi:471480}}

ROOTS!!! the larger ones are towards the bottom but here are some smaller ones on top.

{{gwi:471481}}
    {{gwi:471482}}

and some misc seedling picts
    {{gwi:229317}}

{{gwi:229321}}

{{gwi:229323}}
    {{gwi:229325}}

sorry so big.. I am working on that!

Keriann~

• rmbill
    13 years ago

Great job Keriann. You have a lot of plants started there. Do you put in a very large garden or are some of them for friends? Nice pictures.
    Bill

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you Bill. I keep about 1/2 and the others get sent to family and friends. I keep making new garden beds and I think I will steal Kathy's idea and line my driveway with brugmansias this summer.. oh.. now that would be an awesome way to come home everynight!

Keriann~

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Keriann-
    WOW- Great shots! You must love peppers! I'd love to try the Black Pearl ones, (ornamental) I saw a huge bed of them at a botanical garden in VA, just outstanding! Your plants look great and no aphids! I found a lady bug and put him downstairs to help me out with my few aphids. He went right to work! Your experiments are doing wonderful. What a success!
    kasha77

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

My boyfriend actually loves peppers, I am doing a few ornamentals for me but all in all I am doing 15 different kinds of peppers, 12 different kinds of maters and about 70 other veggies, herbs and flowers!.

It is quite a jungle!

and then direct sowing 30 different kinds of pumpkins, gourds and melons! Oh My.,.. thats a lot lol

Keriann~

• chena
    13 years ago

LOL.. Looks Awesome!!! You have a Nice set up!! I loves me some Pepper's The Hotter the better.. You are doing a Great Job!! Thanks for the pic's!!

Kylie

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Okay guys... I have a question. How long do you wait to pot them up into soil? I was going to use a soil mix of peat and perlite so it has plenty of drainage.

The root are growing like weeds.. that is a weird saying lol... I dont want them to struggle too much in soil.. what do you suggest... wait till the roots are 3-5 inches long and they transfer into moist soil, and dont water again until the roots show considerable grow or they start to grow leaves?

Thanks!

Keriann~

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So.. I have an update..

the perlite took off the first and is still doing well... but the spag. moss with 1" of vermiculite in the bottom has now taken off, they look they are producing a better root system, more hearty then just perlite.

Interesting! I will try to post pictures tomorrow. I have had too much wine tonight ; )

Keriann~

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Thanks for the experiment Keriann! I've tried both but have never compared them. Good to know!
    kasha77

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Ok.. so I am super excited once again!

I am really turning into a Brugmansia maniac! I got a call to go out on Sunday to watch the BB game but I had to decline because I was too busy repotting my Brugs.. they called me an old lady ! ( I am only 26)

So I decided to check on my experiment project last night. OMG!

The Perlite is doing ok now. The ones with 1" of soil or vermiculite in the bottom as doing much better, It seems the roots that grow into the perlite are weak and sad looking but the ones that have grown into the vermiculite or soil are growing like crazy, and they are fatter in size, the roots that is. Three are already root bound and I potted them up into soil already. I added vermiculite to the perlite only ones so they could start growing some more substantial roots. I bet those will be pot bound in a week as well!

The biggest shook was that I took a few tips that broke off and just shoved them into perlite, well they took off! I planted them up yesterday in soil with added perlite. I also took about 5 more tip cuttings and am trying them in 30% vermiculite and 70% perlite topped with sphagnum moss. I keep the sphagnum moss damp though. It think this helps raise the humidity and keeps the green cuttings happy.

Now I have a 100% rootings success. This is SO much easier than changing water and then praying they make it through the repotting process. All of them look so healthy with dark green leaves and TWO OF THEM HAVE BUDS ALREADY! I would snip them off, but they are both on a NOID pink and I have about 6 cuttings of that going, so if it sad trying to get all the energy into the flower, I am okay with that.. I have backups!

So excited!

Keriann~

PS Yes, I totally flaked on taking pictures. I should have last night when I was repotting them all, the growth is just incredible!

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

WOW, they are all doing really great! You are so organized :) You are gonna turn your place into a jungle in no time.

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thank you! It is so much fun! : )

Keriann~

• keriann_lakegeneva
    Original Author
    13 years ago

So I am still amazed and can not believe how easy rooting can be in a medium.. NOT water! All of my brugs are now 100% root bound and my green tip cuttings have sufficient to hold their own. I also have buds already! This is great! I am so glad I did the experiment or I would still be frustrated with water cuttings.

Here are some pictures of them and my other seedlings that are getting HUGE Yep.. my tomatoes have flowers on them! Yum.. I can taste them now : )

{{gwi:471486}}

{{gwi:471488}}
    {{gwi:471490}}

{{gwi:471492}}

{{gwi:471493}}

{{gwi:471494}}

Keriann~

• chena
    13 years ago

CONGRATS!!! They are looking Awesome.. YUMMY Buds..

Kylie

• marcie_new
    12 years ago

WOW!!6 months later how are they doing now? lots of flowers? your tomatoes how did they do I looked at the pictures and your plants seedlings look so healthy and happy. I am in the process of fixing up -repairing a green house it came with 2 built in shelves, so I am thinking of adding another 2 shelves so that I can have more starting seed room. just love your experiment. Marcie