Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rmbill_gw

Any seed crosses germinating?

rmbill
12 years ago

I was wondering if anyone, that I sent seed crosses to, is getting seedlings. I planted 80 seeds and, so far, I have only 25 seedlings. For me, that is really pretty good but I think most people are better at it than I am. Probably still too much water. I try to cut down but they always look dry to me. I keep track of what is what by making a list and numbering the crosses. It saves having to write all of the names all of the time. The crosses names can get pretty long.

Bill

{{gwi:471988}}

{{gwi:471989}}

Comments (13)

• kasha77
    12 years ago

Hi Bill- yes I wanted to tell you, a few of mine are coming up. I got started a little late in sowing them. I took the advice of Liz and didn't peel or soak them and they came up just fine! I mist them til they're dripping wet, and let them go a little dry. I'm pretty excited about these babies, they have outstanding parents! Thanks again-

• Lizzann_Ar
    12 years ago

Hi Bill,

Thought I would chime in and let you know so far mine have not came up, it may still be a little soon though, I don't know for sure how long it takes them to start sprouting. I have not given up on them yet though.

Lizzann

• figara
    12 years ago

Bill, I got 3 or 4 seedlings out of 9. The 4th one is struggling. 2 were empty and the rest did not sprout.
    Thanks,

Pat

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Pat, that sounds pretty good. They should be pretty flowers based on their parents. I hope others are doing as well. Germinating Brug seeds is not my strong suit. Unfortunately, with only a few seeds, getting seedlings is iffy..
    Bill

• rednofl
    12 years ago

Hi Bill
    I have gotten 2 out of 10 I tried to peel 1/2 of them and got 1 from each batch. I had 1 that put out 3 starter leaves not sure if that is normal for brugs.
    Robert

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Robert, Someone on GW was discussing the three leaf thing a while back. They said that they got plants with tri Ys from those seeds with the three leaves. Pretty neat. I have gotten a few of those. Sorry but I can't give any suggestions on germinating as I don't do so well myself. Two plants are a lot better than none, though. Good luck with them. I am hoping they might be something special.
    Bill

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

An update in my seedlings crosses. I was having a hard time keeping them hydrated in the little peat pots that I put them in so I repotted them. I hope that solves the problem. I always have trouble with watering for some reason. Either too much or too little. Once they get into larger pots or in the ground, then I am good.
    Bill

{{gwi:471990}}
    {{gwi:471991}}
    {{gwi:471992}}

• rednofl
    12 years ago

My 2 crosses are already outside. I always use a fast draining potting soil similar to Al's 5:1:1 mix making it almost impossible to overwater. I am looking forward to something good I just hope they can handle the heat.
    {{gwi:471993}}From

Here is a link that might be useful:

• diane_v_44
    12 years ago

looking good Bill
    sure seems like a lot of work

I am so delighted with the cuttings that you gave to me last autumn
    Kind of exciting to see how gorgeous they will be this summer.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Congrats to all! Bill, you certainly are meticulous with your seedlings.

• rmbill
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Robert, How are the seedlings growing. We would love to see an updated photo. I know Florida grows them pretty fast.
    Bill

• rednofl
    10 years ago

Bill

update I had them in the shade of another plant last year and they were slow growers now this year they are in full sun and have really started to show only one has bloomed big dark pink flower and big scalloped leaves

• rmbill
    Original Author
    10 years ago

I love it. What a beauty.