Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Any seed crosses germinating?

Posted by rmbill 6a (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 26, 12 at 22:12

I was wondering if anyone, that I sent seed crosses to, is getting seedlings. I planted 80 seeds and, so far, I have only 25 seedlings. For me, that is really pretty good but I think most people are better at it than I am. Probably still too much water. I try to cut down but they always look dry to me. I keep track of what is what by making a list and numbering the crosses. It saves having to write all of the names all of the time. The crosses names can get pretty long.
Bill

Uploaded from the Photobucket Android App

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Any seed crosses germinating?

Hi Bill- yes I wanted to tell you, a few of mine are coming up. I got started a little late in sowing them. I took the advice of Liz and didn't peel or soak them and they came up just fine! I mist them til they're dripping wet, and let them go a little dry. I'm pretty excited about these babies, they have outstanding parents! Thanks again-

o

Hi Bill,

Thought I would chime in and let you know so far mine have not came up, it may still be a little soon though, I don't know for sure how long it takes them to start sprouting. I have not given up on them yet though.

Lizzann

o

Bill, I got 3 or 4 seedlings out of 9. The 4th one is struggling. 2 were empty and the rest did not sprout.
Thanks,

Pat

o

Pat, that sounds pretty good. They should be pretty flowers based on their parents. I hope others are doing as well. Germinating Brug seeds is not my strong suit. Unfortunately, with only a few seeds, getting seedlings is iffy..
Bill

o

• Posted by rednofl 9b Goldenrod Fl hz (My Page) on
    Sun, Apr 1, 12 at 5:55

Hi Bill
I have gotten 2 out of 10 I tried to peel 1/2 of them and got 1 from each batch. I had 1 that put out 3 starter leaves not sure if that is normal for brugs.
Robert

o

Robert, Someone on GW was discussing the three leaf thing a while back. They said that they got plants with tri Ys from those seeds with the three leaves. Pretty neat. I have gotten a few of those. Sorry but I can't give any suggestions on germinating as I don't do so well myself. Two plants are a lot better than none, though. Good luck with them. I am hoping they might be something special.
Bill

o

An update in my seedlings crosses. I was having a hard time keeping them hydrated in the little peat pots that I put them in so I repotted them. I hope that solves the problem. I always have trouble with watering for some reason. Either too much or too little. Once they get into larger pots or in the ground, then I am good.
Bill

o

Sun, Apr 8, 12 at 16:00

My 2 crosses are already outside. I always use a fast draining potting soil similar to Al's 5:1:1 mix making it almost impossible to overwater. I am looking forward to something good I just hope they can handle the heat.

From

Here is a link that might be useful: Brug crosses

o

looking good Bill
sure seems like a lot of work

I am so delighted with the cuttings that you gave to me last autumn
Kind of exciting to see how gorgeous they will be this summer.

o

Congrats to all! Bill, you certainly are meticulous with your seedlings.

o

Robert, How are the seedlings growing. We would love to see an updated photo. I know Florida grows them pretty fast.
Bill

o

Fri, May 17, 13 at 10:29

Bill

update I had them in the shade of another plant last year and they were slow growers now this year they are in full sun and have really started to show only one has bloomed big dark pink flower and big scalloped leaves

o

I love it. What a beauty.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here