Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
susanlynne48

Newbie-What Are Easiest Brugs to Start With

susanlynne48
14 years ago

I really want to grow Brugs again. I had one years ago that I grew in a pot - it was a double white, don't recall the name. I overwintered it inside, repotted it that spring, but it went KAPUT! I don't know why.

I am quite fascinated by most anything in the Solonaceae family because I also raise Sphinx moths, many of which use plants in this family as a larval host. But, the Brugs are something I would grow for ornamental value and any moth cats would get moved to my native Datura.

I am wondering what you might suggest as a good Brug for a beginner. I recently planted some B. versicolor peach/orange seeds, but they have not come up yet. It's only been a couple of weeks. Is this a fairly easy to grow Brug? I didn't remove the seed coat as suggested by someone on another website, so they may take quite a bit longer to germinate if they germinate at all.

I welcome your recommendations.

Susan

Comments (4)

• chena
    14 years ago

Hey Susan! WELCOME.. I see your in the City.. My Mother lives there.. There are quite a few that will do well in the heat Cherub,Santa Rosa, MEM ,Eternity, Temple Goddess.. I could go on..LOL
    What color were you wanting to grow..

Kylie

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I would prefer pink, peachy orangy, or yellow. That's why I got the seeds for the B. versicolor. I just don't find many sources for them by googling, so I was wondering if you have a good source for rooted brugs or cuttings for that matter.

Hey, so your mom lives here? I lived in North Dallas for a couple of years. Loved it! But, I moved back to OKC cuz my kids were here. I miss all the shopping, great restaurants, and North Haven! lol!

Susan

• chena
    14 years ago

Country Gardens is a great online source.. as for ebay Sommergardens,argahya gardens are 2 of my Favs.. Some ebay sellers will tell you anything just to unload their cuttings.. By the time they bloom it is to late to do anything about it..You can't always trust their ratings..

I live way out of town in Millsap.. I do come to the City frequently most of my family is on the South side.. You near there?

Kylie

Kylie

• susanlynne48
    Original Author
    14 years ago

I live in the "central" part of OKC, close to downtown, but on the North side, in one of the older districts. I bought my house almost 12 years ago because the one thing I always wanted to do was garden. I love it here because there are lots of mature trees and love my neighbors and all. When I first moved in here, the yard was virtually empty. There was an existing honeysuckle "tree", the ubiquitous Monkey Grass, a couple of pretty azaleas, hydrangea, and some pyracantha. The yard no longer looks barren. I keep my backyard "wild" because of my butterfly and moth gardening, and most of them like a break from the flat, sunny gardens that dot the area. I ran the gamut of gardening preferences, from Hostas to Aroids (Elephant ears), Clematis, until I discovered butterflies. I now have tons of larval host plants and nectar plants, and I raise many different kinds, especially Monarchs, who are in dire straits for milkweed patches destroyed by commercial development and deforestation.

I just have always loved brugs and want to include a few in my garden. Thank you for such a nice welcome!

Susan