Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xeriscape8321

Butterfly in finally in Flush!!

xeriscape8321
13 years ago

Again, this is one of my favorite warm weather loving single pinks. Besides being a large flower, the waxy corolla can hold up well in bad weather. She is also one of the most fragrant brugs around. A pod sister to Rosalie, both of these brugs are well suited for the hot humid southern climates. The cross on this one is Rothkirch x Ocre by hybridizer Herta Blin.

This is one of the oldie but goodies. People are so hell bent on getting all the "new" stuff that we forget about those that have been around for years and can out perform those news guys hands down! And they have proven themselves to be hardy......:)

{{gwi:474738}}

{{gwi:474739}}

{{gwi:474740}}

Comments (10)

• karyn1
    13 years ago

I agree that Butterfly is one of the nicest single pinks and your plant looks beautiful. I'm so jealous of those of you in the warm climates. It will be months before my brugs bloom. I only kept arborea and Sam growing thru the winter and the only reason Sam's not dormant is that I'm waiting for a pod to ripen.

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

It's 90 degrees today so i decided to go outside and show people what a great warm weather brug butterfly is....this is two days after the original pics were taken and the blooms have darkened up significantly.....now THIS is genetics at it's finest. You can be sure i will be using pollen from this baby in the fall to produce some great new prospects......as an added note....for some reason butterfly babies lend themselves to throwing yellow/orange offspring....lets hope for good things this fall/winter

{{gwi:474741}}

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    13 years ago

Oh geez the color on that is amazing. I had a small plant years ago but lost it. I am definitely going to try and get another. WOW! I love the oldies but goodies :)

• sommergardens
    13 years ago

I agree with Gary, Butterfly is an overlooked classic!

• arghyagardengirl
    13 years ago

I agree with Gary as well. I like many of the older Brugs, Pink Beauty, Georgia Peach, Butterfly, Dorthea, Painted Lady to name a few. Its a lot of fun crossing some of the Euros with them.
    It "tones" them down a bit.

• odyssey3
    13 years ago

OOh, I'm so glad you posted these! You had recommended this one to me a few threads back when I was asking for recommendations for a very fragrant pink. Can you recommend a good source for it, because I am convinced this is the one for me!

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

What a beautiful plant! You're right, let's remember the oldies but goodies, in more ways than one LOL!

• xeriscape8321
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Butterfly still has a few blooms coming in on it. When i when to check them out I realized that she had two six pointed blooms on her...now it has me curious and i wonder just how many six pointers were in that flush she had...I am curious to find out the percentage of 6 pointed blooms to 5 pointers

Here is one of the six pointers i found on Butterfly today

{{gwi:474743}}

• plantlover49
    13 years ago

Gary
    you have some amazing Brugs, what a beautiful color on Butterfly, it's so good to see Blooms, this time of year
    Thank you for posting your Beauty

Elizabeth

• eloise_ca
    13 years ago

I like the angle of that last picture. Beautiful Butterfly!

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting