Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
threas

New tropical garden & other photos

threas
14 years ago

One of my new garden beds. I want it to look tropical. Hopefully, it will fill in nicely. Looks really scrawny now.

LOL

{{gwi:406815}}{{gwi:406817}}{{gwi:406818}}{{gwi:406819}}{{gwi:406820}}

{{gwi:474854}}{{gwi:474855}}{{gwi:474858}}

New Walkway- Don't mind the white paint. Needs to be removed. The slate was recycled from an old church.

{{gwi:474861}}{{gwi:406817}}

Just some miscellaneous spring pix

{{gwi:474863}}{{gwi:362960}}{{gwi:474864}}{{gwi:474865}}{{gwi:474866}}

{{gwi:406816}}

Comments (16)

• gottahosta
    14 years ago

Theresa, YOur new bed looks promising, and the soil looks rich, so it should fill out very well.
    And the rest of your blossoms are so lovely. Spring is the best time of the year!
    Thanks for sharing.

• peony_tx
    14 years ago

I love the walkway! Recycled is the best. Looking good.

• taz56
    14 years ago

Very nice,everything looks so pretty! Don't cha just love flowers!
    Susan

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Theresa, you have been busy! Can't wait to see it fill in. What did you plant in the new bed? I can only i.d. coleus.

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Thank you everyone!
    El, the Stuttgart canna from you is in there! Gingers, brugs, begonias, heucheras, bananas(Bordelon from Kylie)(basjoo from Ryan).
    Still debating about putting in some taro. Not sure if they're too invasive or not wet enough in the bed. I want to get more cannas and some impatiens for the front of the bed. Any other suggestions?

Theresa

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

I love that you recycled the slate. It made a great walkway. Everything looks happy and like they're just waiting for the warmth to help them grow up! that heuchera looks like my Stormy Seas. What is that pretty blue flower?
    For suggestions:
    Caladiums are easy and what I plan for the front of my tropical bed-to-be. Maybe some iochroma if you have it.

Thanks for the eye candy!

Pam

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh, Pam,forgot to say Caladiums. They are on their way. Just got 3lbs. bulbs, about 45 of 'em!I also ordered some Black Magic Colocasia and Thai Giant Colocasia.I'm putting caladiums and probably impatiens in all my deck boxes. I do have a couple Iochroma, but I wasn't sure if I should put them in the ground. They're kinda picky, maybe they would do better in the ground....LOL

Theresa

• threas
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Oh Pam, the pretty blue flower is Pulmonaria.

Theresa

• chena
    14 years ago

Teresa!!! That is looking good I can't wait to see how it fills in.. You have so much color already.. Beautiful..
    You could always put the Taro in a bucket and sink it that way you can contain it and provide the water it needs..Good job on the recycled walkway!! OH and the Iochroma do awesome in the ground!!!

Kylie

• tommysmommy
    14 years ago

Aren't we all so excited to get outside and mess with our gardens? Boy you have inspired me. I love your begonia by the way. Now I have to plan my own attack on the outdoors. Good job Theresa!

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Hi Theresa, everybody is so busy with their gardens right now that it's so good of you to take the time out to share with us right now.

Very exciting choice of plants and so elegantly displayed.
    It really looks sleek! I'm missing all that for my garden.
    My brother has offered but I don't want it 'locked in' size wise, but more the problem, it would take away more of my garden space, but I do get to put in plenty of lights every year. :)

Nice to see your designs - Sandy

• threas
    Original Author
    13 years ago

Thanks guys!
    Kylie, How big of a bucket are you thinking for the Taro? I guess it won't get as big in soil as directly in the water.
    I'll have to try a couple iochroma in the ground. Did you see the Musa Bordelon above? It's got two pups already at 9" tall.
    Do you know how big it and the little Musa Basjoos will grow this summer? I asked on the Banana forum, but there's no action over there. Thanks! :)

tommysmommy, glad you are inspired! I actually have 3 begonias in that bed, all HOT colors. Love them!

Sandy, thanks for the compliments! Can't wait until it fills in. It looks pathetic right now. My DH has perimeters around every garden bed I have. I wish all of them didn't have such "perfect" definition.Are you talking about your brother offering to put in a pond? I would say do it! There's always gardening "in" the pond. LOL It is so relaxing and adds so much to the yard. Plus, I love my fishies. They are like little kids, swimming over to see me and get some grub! What kind of lights do you put in?

Theresa

• kasha77
    13 years ago

Theresa-
    everything's looking great! Thanks for sharing your new beds with us!
    hugs-
    kasha77

• marcie_new
    13 years ago

here is a picture of my clematis she is blooming her little head off!!!{{gwi:474876}}

• tommysmommy
    13 years ago

Oh I have that one too, but it's a few weeks behind yours! I'm excited to see how beautiful it will be, just like your photo!

• chena
    13 years ago

Teresa I did see them they look Amazing!! Are you going to put the Basjoo in the ground? mine made it thru the Winter in the ground and our temps were down to single digits..It could grow to 5'~6' easy..I am so excited for you!!

Kylie

Sponsored
Manifesto, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Columbus OH Premier Interior Designer 2x Best of Houzz Winner!