Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
xeriscape8321

My New Seedling Painted Lady x Sam

xeriscape8321
12 years ago

I have been waiting four years to catch this one blooming. I know it bloomed 2 years ago but i was away and never saw it...Then i neglected it for a year or so, but now that i have started taking care of my brugs again this huge tree (with dark green tropical foliage) is full of buds and is blooming it's first bloom, and it is rewarding me with a six pointer!

To be honest i was hoping for a double. The bud was fat and i just knew it would be a double...but alas it's a single but it is a huge bloom...stem to corolla measures 10 inches...she is just opening now but i was so excited i had to start the thread with the opening of the blossom. Nice long tendrils (six of them!) and beautiful nodding form.

The cross is Painted Lady x Sam. This is my cross and i am the seedling parent as well.

Sam usually throws doubles whether it's a daddy or momma, so i really thought it was a double. This however is a going to be a gorgeous single. She is already starting to show some pink coloration, so she will be a large single pink. She has always been grown in full sun and with that waxy corolla the blooms will hold up well in the daytime...i will post pics over the next couple of days so we can see how she develops...

This one is a beauty. I rarely get excited by new stuff. In fact i have trashed several already but this one...believe me she will be a keeper!!

{{gwi:474922}}

More buds are just ready to pop!!

{{gwi:474923}}

Comments (9)