Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
arghyagardengirl

Brugmansia Volkie

arghyagardengirl
12 years ago

Here's a photo of Volkie, registered in 2009. The remarkable thing about this one is that it froze to pot level in January of 2010. Zip. Nada. Nothing in the pot. I thought it was lost forever. A few months later, I saw a little green sprig coming.

Now, he's blooming again. Moral of the story: If it looks dead, maybe it isn't dead. Hang on to it and keep watering and fertilizing. :)

{{gwi:475256}}

Comments (13)

• byrd4460
    12 years ago

Liz,That's a Gorgeous Brug Growing this one
    will brighten anyone gardens.
    Cb

• kasha77
    12 years ago

What a sweet success story!
    kasha77

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Yes, I learned the value of hauling every pot into the house...even here in Florida. Now the entire garden is mobile and can be winterized within a couple of hours.

• chena
    12 years ago

I Love that! Dollie was kind enough to put one up for postage at TPE. She sent me a very nice rooted plant!! I can't wait to see it bloom!!!

Kylie

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

I love when they come back from the dead lol. We need more double oranges!

A few yrs ago, I got sick of hauling plants so put in some makeshift/portable carports. I have 2 of them that are 10x20 each.
    I use the regular white poly tops that came with them and doubled 6 mil plastic (so 12 mil) for walls and use a portable propane heater on cold nights (under 32F).
    On warm days, I just pull the front open and if it rains and I want stuff watered, I pull back the bungie corded top.
    It has a metal frame/poles that we bury about 15 inches so it can take a lot of wind, even with our sandy soil.
    It was about 60 mph with some higher gusts a few times last winter and no problems. Not sure how much more it could withstand.

I think I paid about 100 each at Pepboys on sale and got a 30.00 rebate for each. Then you have to buy the plastic and heater but still pretty cheap.
    Ha I am soooo lazy but it works well for FL.
    In the summer I just take it all down.

• arghyagardengirl
    Original Author
    12 years ago

You're in for a treat Kylie. Mine was lovely shades of amber this spring. Nice fragrance too!

Lucky you! You got him for free! :)

• byrd4460
    12 years ago

It's also a fairly growing plant as well. This one I'm
    growing in the ground and a 18 gallon pot. To my surprise
    it already need to be re-potted. Enjoy Kylie.
    Cb

• rock_oak_deer
    12 years ago

Beautiful Brug and a great, helpful story. I have one that is coming back now after a record freeze and another that looks totally dead. I'll just leave it for now and see.

• kasha77
    12 years ago

SJN-
    Wow- I wish I'd heard your story before I bought my GH from Harbor Freight. Sounds wonderful! Although probably not too much light comes through? And you heat with a portable propane heater in winter. Doesn't need to be vented? I'm buying one from Northern Tool, pick up will be this week. I will be using it for this coming winter. It's an 80,000 BTU. I'll burn it on low for 2 gh's. The houses aren't air tight- not by any means! so they will be vented! Sorry- didn't mean to hi jack this thread folks, I just had to ask! :)
    kasha77

• karyn1
    12 years ago

It takes me a long time to toss a pot with a brug that I think is dead. I've had growth return from the roots after 6 months of nothing.

• byrd4460
    12 years ago

Liz, I believe we both are on the some bloom cycle on
    volkie. Don't you love how volkie brightens up any part
    of the garden you place him.
    Cb

• sultry_jasmine_nights (Florida-9a-ish)
    12 years ago

Kasha no it isn't vented. I don't have to use heat every night in the winter because we aren't super cold but there will be a few weeks stretch here and there where I will have to use heat. As long as I make sure there is a space around the heater and nothing gets pushed up against the walls to and gets too cold then its all good. Last winter was much colder than this one was. They do seem to get enough light. I place them long ways so they get the most sun exposure hitting one of the long sides. It can get pretty hot in there.
    I like to get the gh out of the yard in the spring/summer so the portable ones work okay for me.

Wow Volkie seems like a strong grower. How tall does it get?

I really need to sign up at the plants exchange. I have been waiting to see what all inventory I am gonna have once everything starts growing back. I cut alot of stuff way way back last fall.
    Is it only for brugs or for all kinds of plants? Is it also for seeds?

• chena
    12 years ago

Lenette I'll send you a PM!! ;0)

Kylie

Sponsored
Bullseye Wood Specialties, L.L.C
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars55 Reviews
Fairfax County's Award-Winning Custom Cabinetry Company