Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lboyce_gw

When to switch?

lboyce
14 years ago

I have been using a transplant solution on my seedlings when I put them in a bigger pot. The solution has a ratio of 4-12-4 and I'm currently using it full strength. A couple of seedlings have big buds on them already. When should I switch to regular fertilizer or is a transplant solution a fertilizer?

Linda

Comments (5)

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's pretty much the same ratio as a bloom booster. If it's working for you and they are already in bud you can just keep using it.

• lboyce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

karyn1....Thank you so much for your reply!! This is the first year where almost every brug and datura seed that I started is doing fantastic...knock on wood! Last year when I started datura seeds I grabbed the wrong bottle of fertilizer that was way too strong for the size of the plant and I just stood there and watched them all flop over and die! I wanted to cry and it was way too late to restart them.

Have a good day!

Linda

• lboyce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

karyn1....hate to be a "PIA" with another question but if this transplant solution is a bloom buster...this is where I get confused..then what should I be using on these seedlings? I just have too many seedlings and I don't want to ruin them by using the wrong stuff. Just when I thought I was getting the "hang" of this!

Linda

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Linda numbers such as 4-12-4 are the N-P-K ratios. N is nitrogen which is necessary for foliage development and greening. P is phosphorus which is helpful for root and bud development and K is potassium for overall health and vigor. That's a very simplified explanation. As you see P helps with roots and bud set so you see similar ratios with seed starter and bloom booster fertilizers. I know a lot of people that no longer use a high phosphorus fertilizer. I still do occasionally. If you start your plants in a soiless mix you also need Magnesium, Calcium, Sulfur, and other trace elements. I use these all the time and add B1 when starting cuttings, transplanting, waking plants from dormancy and on stressed plants. I use Cal-Mag Plus, Superthrive, Thrive Alive and B1. B1 is already in Superthrive and Thrive Alive. You can also use epsom salts which is magnesium. I also use kelp extract, fish emulsion, compost and compost tea, bat guano, worm casings, rabbit poo, all kinds of junk. lol

When I start seedlings I don't use fertilizer (N-P-K) for a while but do use the other stuff. Once they have a few sets of true leaves I start feeding with a diluted balanced fertilizer (about 20-20-20 or near that ratio) and don't use a full strength fertilizer until the plants are fairly sturdy. With most I continue with something close to a balanced fertilizer or even a low phosphorus until they are mature and near blooming size. Then I switch to a bloom booster. I continue with the CalMag Plus, Thrive Alive, seaweed and fish emulsion, etc along with all fertilizers. I also foliar feed with the Spray n Grow trio. I think I just like playing with gardening junk. Kind of like a chemistry set when I was a kid. lol Some people stick with a single fertilizer thru the life of their plants and get gorgeous results. Just play around and see what works for you.

• lboyce
    Original Author
    14 years ago

karyn1....WOW! That is so sweet of you to explain all that!! This transplanting solution indicates on the bottle that it contains B1. I did decide to switch to a soiless potting soil this year for everything. Got tired of losing stuff with the other potting soil and so far so good. Now all I need to do is make up my mind what to do as finding something that has trace elements.

Again, thank you so much for the explanation. I sure do appreciate learning something new! I just saw the label that said transplant solution and started using it. I did not know that if I use a soiless mix that I need trace elements. If you hear a loud explosion....just ignore it!! It's just me!

Linda