Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tommysmommy_gw

Ordered new and miscellaneous

tommysmommy
14 years ago

I was clicking around on Ebay (reminds me of how George W. Bush said he could "click around" on the internet when he was first elected LOL) and found a double peach brugmansia I couldn't resist (that was all the name it had). So, darn it, I ordered it. I've been wanting a double. My Cherub from last year that I sprayed with Roundup is struggling to put out some tiny leaves, but not having much luck. I may have to beg some cuttings to get started again on that one )-: While shopping for some garden stuff at the local nursery I noticed gorgeous vines with spidery red flowers edged with yellow. They are Gloriosa, and they were selling for - $50.00!!! Has anyone grown these, have these, know about them? They're really cool, but $50?!

Comments (5)

• pagrdnr
    14 years ago

You should be able to find gloriosa's (climbing lilies) elsewhere for a much better price. You will most likely find them as a bulb and not a growing plant. That is probably why the nursery was so expensive. I know you can get the gloriosa bulbs at walmart and other big box stores for like $5 with the spring bulbs. I have never grown them but I think they are easy to grow.

• karyn1
    14 years ago

That's ridiculous for a gloriosa lily. It's a tuber that you can get for a few bucks. I have no idea how many tubers were in the pot but I can't imagine it was $50 worth. They are not cold hardy and have to be kept dormant in the pot inside over the winter. I keep mine in the greenhouse but don't water it during the winter. It should begin putting out growth in a few weeks. They do really well in the garden but I always forget to lift them in the fall so I keep them in a container.

• threas
    14 years ago

Congratulations on your new double peach brug! Can't wait to see blooms!

Theresa

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Yep Diane, $50 is way too much. I got mine a couple of years ago as a bulb and spent around $5 or so. Congrats on your double peach brug. I have tried growing HG, but no go.

• tommysmommy
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Since your comments about the gloriosa, I have noticed a number of websites where it can be purchased for under $10 as a tuber. Looks like it has to be lifted and stored like an amaryllis before it can start and bloom again.