Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

OT: Lilac bushes

karyn1
13 years ago

Have any of you with lilac bushes had problems this year? I have almost no blooms and I have about 40 bushes, some at the house and the rest at the farm. The only lilac that's covered in blooms is my dwarf. I haven't seen any of my neighbors bushes with nice flushes either and almost everyone around here has a lilac or two. I am so disappointed. This is the first time in over 20 years that this has happened.

Comments (9)

• suzie29
    13 years ago

All of ours in California have bloomed just fine & normal. Nothing out of the ordinary at all.
    suz

• marquest
    13 years ago

Mine do not usually bloom until Mother's Day. I will let you know if they bloom. I have some really old old ones and I get a second small flush every Aug-Sept also.

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Hopefully they are just late blooming this year Karyn. I've never bought a lilac bush, because years ago a friend said that they don't do well here &/or they don't have a good scent like the ones back east.

• marquest
    12 years ago

Karyn, they are starting to bloom now. One is covered the dwarf ones are just starting.

I will update as to how many blooms but they look like they are going to be covered. I have the white ones. I do not have any large purple Lilacs. My dwarf are purple/pink.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

My dwarfs are the only ones with blooms. Evidently the lilac problem is fairly widespread. Besides not seeing any while driving I posted on the Mid-Atlantic forum and everyone is having the same issues. Even DH's local suppliers don't have anything. I have white, lavender, purple, pink, doubles, all kinds and none are in bloom : ( All the other spring trees and flowers have been blooming normally. It's just the lilacs. I hope the peonies are nice. I'll really be pissed if they don't have buds! Enjoy yours and think of all the sad folks down here when you are smelling your lilacs. lol

• marquest
    12 years ago

That is strange. Do not give up hope, maybe they will be late blooming this year.

• princealbert
    12 years ago

Karyn,
    If it's any comfort, the ones in central texas are just beginning to bud and bloom.
    maybe it has to do with the extra cool weather we had.
    pa

• karyn1
    Original Author
    12 years ago

They are definitely a wash for this year. I'm going to contact the UMD agricultural extension and see if they have any info. Several people think it has to do with last years' record heat late into the fall and the record lows going into spring this year. So far that makes the most sense but I haven't noticed any other varieties affected.....yet. At least my dwarf varieties are loaded with blooms even if they are a fraction the size of the standards. I already cut 30 stems from this bush and you can't even tell.
    {{gwi:475639}}

• eloise_ca
    12 years ago

Beautiful Karyn! Enjoy what you can get :-)

Sponsored
Traditional Hardwood Floors LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Your Industry Leading Flooring Refinishers & Installers in Columbus