Return to the Brugmansia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Seedling Daturas - Droopy leaves

Posted by dougholl 5 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 1, 10 at 12:42

My juvenile Datura plants (Datura metel)are approximately 8 inches tall, having developed nicely from seeds. I am using grow lights for 8-10 hours daily. With the weather here in Michigan approaching the 70s, I've taken them out for some real sun, however the leaves quickly begin to droop. It's not for lack of moisture as I keep them well watered and fertilized. Any suggestions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Seedling Daturas - Droopy leaves

Not only are those leaves having to adjust to different sunlight, air currents and humidity but also to temperature differences. Keep them out only for an hour at a time and in shade to begin with. This allows them to harden to the air currents ( wind) and the humidity changes first, then you can gradually introduce them to direct sun for lengthening times each day after that. It is not just the sun you have to be careful of when introducing in home grown plants to the great outdoors.

o
RE: Seedling Daturas - Droopy leaves

Last year, my indoor started datura did the same thing. I guess it got too much sun too soon. So I pulled all the leaves off. It regrew new ones that didn't droop. It grew into a huge plant by the end of summer.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Brugmansia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here