Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
drvongirl

Best Soil for Brugs/newbie question

drvongirl
14 years ago

Hi everyone, I am so excited!! I received two new Brugs today and I want to plant them, they are Dr.Suess and Georgia Peach. What is the best potting mix to plant them in so that they will do great and what size should the container be, they are about a foot maybe a little bigger tall? What should I add to the soil if anything? Thanks

Ellen

Comments (6)

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Hi there and welcome to this forum and the brug addiction! lol It is exciting isn't it. Before we can help you, the people here will need to know if you have a cutting or is it already rooted and for how long has it been rooted for?

- Sandy

• drvongirl
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Hi Sandy and thanks for the welcome. The brug is already rooted for about 3 months I believe, I got them from Country Garden and I believe I read they don't ship them until they have rooted for that long. I have one other brug but I got it last year and don't remember what type of potting mix I used or what type it is. It didn't bloom last year and i have been watching it every day for signs of a bloom since finding this website and pics from ruth ann, I know what to look for. I decided I would order some more brugs and between them atleast one of them has got to bloom this year!! I want to make sure these get off to a good start that is why I am asking about soil, thanks....and yes I am throughly addicted!!! Ellen

• karyn1
    14 years ago

Country Garden is one of thye best brug suppliers. I make many of my own mixes but a couple high quality potting mixes that I use straight out of the bag are Fafard 3B and Happy Frog. For larger plants I usually use the Fafard because it comes in larger bags and is less expensive then Happy Frog. You probably won't find it in the big box stores but a nursery should carry it or at least order it in. I stay away from anything that says "moisture control" and I dislike Miracle Grow products. Enjoy your new brugs.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Karyn - Do you mean Miracle Grow products regarding the soil mixtures, or does that include their fertilizer?

One of the guys here got me into using orchid mixture (tropical plant soil) but I'm only using it for my current favorite cutting, Monika dbl pink,j it's way too expensive here $10 for a small bag that wouldn't do 5 gallon pot without adding something else. Any advice as to what I should add in? Sphagnum Moss, perlite, vermiculite, soil, or compost. -Sandy

• karyn1
    14 years ago

I don't like any of the Miracle Grow products but some people swear by them. They deposit a lot of salts into the soil. What kind of orchid mix has a soil texture? All the ones I use are "chunky". I occasionally add a bit to my potting mixes to help with drainage but couldn't use a straight orchid mix for a plant that wasn't an epiphyte.

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Thanks for replying Karyn, My orchid mix is moistly soil or some kind, with some bark pieces thrown in. I'll go with adding more nutrient rich soil (the bought kind).

I asked about the Miracle Grow Fertilizer as I am wondering after the High Phosphate level that is used to increase blooming. I read that the 'too high' level of any on part can inhibit the utilization of the other parts. And I am getting a white leached substance on the top of my soil and was wondering if this is salt or lime or something else?
    Especially found in the potted brugs.

Thanks for your observations and suggestions - Sandy