Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
karyn1_gw

Random Pics

karyn1
14 years ago

Here's some of the early brug buds. The others are too small to even get a pic so you can just imagine how tiny they are. Hopefully they'll hold.

{{gwi:477695}}

{{gwi:477696}}

{{gwi:477698}}

Randon pics greenhouse stuff

{{gwi:477699}}

{{gwi:477700}}

{{gwi:477701}}

{{gwi:477702}}

{{gwi:477703}}

{{gwi:477704}}

{{gwi:477705}}

{{gwi:477706}}

{{gwi:477707}}

{{gwi:477708}}

{{gwi:477709}}

Random stuff outside. many of the spring bulb plants are spent from the unusually high temps we had last week.

{{gwi:171178}}

{{gwi:477711}}

{{gwi:477713}}

{{gwi:477714}}

{{gwi:477715}}

{{gwi:477716}}

{{gwi:477717}}

{{gwi:477718}}

{{gwi:477719}}

{{gwi:477720}}

{{gwi:477721}}

{{gwi:477722}}

{{gwi:477724}}

{{gwi:477725}}

{{gwi:477726}}

Comments (17)

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago
  • sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Wow Karyn - Are all those blooming now, this spring?
    If they are there's a heck of a difference between your zone and mine, and of coarse a greenhouse for some!

That's quite a collection blooming already!

I left as many branches on my brugs as I could over winter, so I hope I will get to see early buds to - Sandy

• rock_oak_deer
    14 years ago

Those are beautiful Karyn.

Such an amazing number of blooms for the weather.

• givelittle_getlots
    14 years ago

I just knew that it would be worth it to stop by quickly before I go pick up Madison for the WE. YES Karyn you did it. I am thrilled and walking away with a big smile.

NICE GOING :-)

Hugs
    Lucy

• siam_cannas
    14 years ago

Everything looks so nice karyn,
    Siam

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Very nice Karyn!
    What is the flower in the first pic?

Karen

• haase
    14 years ago

I love the lilacs the best. I will never have any any more, because they need the cold weather in the winter.
    Happy Spring!
    Ingrid

• danasplants
    14 years ago

Very nice pictures thanks for sharing pretty blooms!

• taz56
    14 years ago

Great photos,plants love um all!
    Susan

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

I figured out about half of them but that's about it. I think Karyn has a collection of bloomers for every part of the growing season, probably even early winter and late winter...lol.

Ingrid, I hear the butterfly bushes are summer lilacs and smell the same as spring lilacs or similiar. They're like a lot of late summer, early fall bloomers, they'll look dead until late May, early June before you'll start seeing even a hint of life and then the growth explosion, voila!!!

I need some of Karyn's or others late spring and late summer bloomer pictures, cause that's pretty much when my garden mainly flowers. Some in between.

- Sandy

• PKponder TX Z7B
    14 years ago

Beautiful blooms Karyn!

Ingrid, have you tried Vitex? It doesn't need the cool temps to bloom.

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

Some plants came on a little faster because of the week with temps in the 80's but loads of stuff is in bloom in the DC Metro area this time of year. There's actually a lot more plants in bloom that I didn't take pics of. I can't wait for the peonies which will take about another month. I should take a ride up to the farm and see what's up with those lilacs. I put 50 bushes in about 6 years ago and they've recently started producing a lot of flowers. I just have to get up there before DH cuts all of them. lol The first pic is a Griffinia sp., an amaryllis native to Brazil. I was so excited to see it bloom. I've never noticed much of a scent from the butterfly bushes and I have several varieties. The vitex is beautiful in bloom. I just don't have the space for one in my yard. Sandy a couple of the budded brugs are cuttings that I started last fall and the others weren't cut back much at all. I cut most of my brugs back to about 10" but got sick of trimming them and just tossed them into the garage. I do like that they put out buds so early but I don't particularly care for the look of the plant. Maybe once they fill out they will look better or I might just have to sacrifice some blooms and cut them back.

• eloise_ca
    14 years ago

Wow, spectacular flowers Karyn! My very favorite is the dogwood, probably because I can't grow it, LOL! What is the flower in the 2nd post, pix #2? Is it a magnolia?

• karyn1
    Original Author
    14 years ago

That's a Sweetshrub (calycanthus). I also have a couple small white varieties (C. Venus) that haven't reached blooming size yet. They have an amazing scent. Here's another pic that I couldn't resist. lol

{{gwi:477734}}

• gardenpaw
    14 years ago

Awww Karyn, Kyle is soo cute!

Karen

• haase
    14 years ago

Thanks for the hints, sandyseed and pkponder. But I also live in a condo with just a patio, so lilacs wouldn't work anyway.
    Kyle is a really handsome young fella, Karyn.

Ingrid

• sandysseeds007
    14 years ago

Karyn, I read that they have a strong scent, I hope at least in my cooler region they will be. But they are still pretty and I want butterflies! The pink delight has a really big flower for this plant. And some silver foliage on top of the leaf. I have the varieties below, and I just found out that her seeds are from her own garden which is open pollinated...ouch. I wanted to blend certain colors together without over doing a particular color, I guess that might be out of the question. I buy from Josie every year so I'm sure she's being as honest as she can.

Kyle is a handsome young man, may he grow into a prince.

I have a gimme gimme gimme attack everytime I see other's plants or hear about them. It's funny to me now, as I've never cared much for other people's things but some reason, a garden is not a garden until you have everything you want...which always changes...lol. I seriously had a heck of a time dealing with coveting (unrequited desire and dampered satisfaction) at first but I've got a grip on it now...lol...thank God! Back to knowing 'want' is not that important. But I NEED more garden space...lol.

Ingrid, so sorry to hear you're own gardening space is so limited, I hope you can find a place with room for your hobby. That's if you want to. Things just might be working well where you are.
    May God Bless you All - Sandy

Here is a link that might be useful: 7 Varieties